Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can't transmit USB using SmartSDR 1.2.1

Gary Robertson - KY5R
Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Left Flex-6500 and computer running for a few hours this afternoon unattended. When I returned and tried to transmit USB on 15 meters, I had no output. I verified that that RF output slider was moved up to put out power and that MIC was selected. When I hit MOX button and spoke into microphone, I get no modulation or watts output. If I hit tune button, it shows 15 watts out along with SWR. It I turm amp on and hit Tune, it shows about 150 watts out. Problem seems to be no modulation on SSB when I speak into mike, CW seems to be working fine. I have tried several cold boots of computer and Flex-6500 to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Is the mic input selected correctly? I once had mine change unexpectedly. I'm sure it was something I did by mistake but it took me a while to realize the problem.

Jon
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2015
    Yes, I checked that MIC is selected for the headphones that are connected to the front panel. I even changed out the headphones for another pair with the same result. It acts exactly as if either the RF slider is set to zero (which is is NOT) or the radio sees no modulation when I talk into the microphone.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you turn on the monitor do you hear yourself? If not audio isn't getting in the radio for some reason.

• W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016

Gary: If you have HRD or Fldigi, try sending from one of these applications using the DAX and USB. I do this quick check when I have a USB issue.  I have had a similar problem using previous SmartSDR versions and my FLEX 6500. The result FIX was to do a Hard reset of the FLEX.  I have found that most of the problems involve the NETWORK connection from my PC to the FLEX.

Bill

• Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2015
    Tried all of the suggestions without success. Have done hard resets of Flex-6500, uninstalled and re-installed SmartSDR, again without success. Everything works great except that I can't transmit in SSB.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have done so I will say it in case someone has not. Make sure you have the red transmit bubble checked in the active slice or it doesn't transmit. I hope that is your answer. I do it somewhat regularly Mike N9DFD
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2015
    Good suggestion but I had already checked that red transmit icon was illuminated. Thanks for comment.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have had this happen a few times on 1.2.1.
    I toggled the red TX button on and off a few times,
    Changed filters on receive a few times,
    Readjusted the TX low/high cut filter settings,
    then closed the slice and opened it up again.
    Something in that mess made it start working.  I am not sure which one!

• Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I've seen something similar. When I left my 6500 running unattended for a few hours this morning and afternoon, one or more of the panadapters was dead (no audio) when I came back. It was always Slice B that hung. Slice A continued to receive and wsjt-x continued to decode stations, but I got no audio at all from Slice B.

I didn't try to transmit since I couldn't hear anything and didn't think transmitting would be a good idea.

Ultimately I had to **** SmartSDR and restart it to get things back to normal.
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2015
    I'll give it a try tomorrow. Though a good night's rest might be a good idea.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Im wondering if some of these problems that occur "after a period of unattended use" is the result of the PC going to sleep due to incorrect power settings and losing communications with the Radio? Maybe not..  just trying to justify some of these events.  The radio should not require so many reboots to keep it running..whether unattended or not.. ...  JM2C....
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    Just discovered that I can transmit USB/LSB by using the BAL connector on the rear of my Flex-6500 through my Heil desk mike. Still cannot get my headset to work with the MIC connector on the front of the rig.
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have had several instances where the radio was set up correctly to transmit USB (or LSB) and I get no RF out.   The VOX works normally so audio is getting into the Flex.  I have the RF power all the way up.   But if I simply slide the RF out control down and back up, I get full normal operation.  I can't recall what I was doing before, but most likely I was on another band.  Still, I never set RF power to 0, yet the radio behaves that way.  Now I know to "tickle" the RF power if no RF out occurs. 
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    In my case I have all of the Windows power settings set to never go to sleep or to power down the monitor, drives, etc.
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I've seen, on several occasions, the rig take 1-2 seconds to get to full output power. My LP-100 watt meter shows the power output climbing for a second or two before finally hitting the final value. It even occasionally does this when I hit the Tune button.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Gary - I have converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.