Cannt seem to get my lp-100a station monitor to work with my 6500

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
If connected my lp-100a to my flex 6500,shows power out ok but gives alarm for swr , the flex shows 1-1 swr,tried changing Pitt/key/send out,all to no avail,has anyone got any ideas.
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 297 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Tony,  I've used the LP-100a for several  years without issue -- after getting it properly set up.  My only suggestion is to check the User Setting in the Setup/CAL mode as described in the Manual.  I have also had very cordial conversations with Larry Phipps about a couple details.  He was always helpful and got me over a hurdle or two.  Good luck.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 648 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
What is the LP100a showing for the SWR? The alarm threshold is user configurable and maybe it is just set too low.

I also have one and it has no issues. In fact, it is a very nice meter.

Jon...kf2e

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Do you have the I/O reversed or somehow have switched the sense coaxs between the coupler and watt-meter?  I have 2 of these and mine have been bullet proof.

73 W9OY
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1208 Posts
  • 249 Reply Likes

Are you using the internal tuner on the Flex? If so, then the wattmeter will NOT show the correct SWR that the transmitter is seeing. The meter needs to be between the transmitter output and tuner input. You cannot put an external meter between the PA and internal tuner.

Dave wo2x

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4025 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
Correct. SWR bridges that are placed between the antenna and the tuner will never properly read the matched SWR.

They can also read power output incorrectly because they will also read the reflected power that is being "returned" to the antenna for another trip. (Not exactly technically accurate, but put in laymen's terms for simplification.)

I have seen guys baffled because their meter was registering 150 watts from a 100 watt rig and couldn't figure out where the extra power was coming from. It didn't really exist, but the Standing waves were being registered at a place in the line where they were reinforcing each other.
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 538 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Hows it set up?  Flex Ant out to meter to antenna?  if so Dave is correct.. SWR will not be correct and you will have to set the alarm threshold very high...  My setup is this... FLEX (tuner bypassed) to KPA500 (amp) to LP-100A to KAT500 (antenna tuner) to Antenna.. this way I see the SWR as well as the power from the amp... works well

David
KK4QOE