Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cannot Monitor Outgoing K9DUR VoiceKeyer Message

Gary Robertson - KY5R
Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I really enjoy K9DUR's VoiceKeyer program and I think I have it setup properly on my Flex-6500. When I click a VoiceKeyer button (CQ for example), I can visually see my message being transmitted on the panadapter. However, despite clicking on the Flex-6500 MON button, I cannot hear my outgoing VoiceKeyer message either through my speakers or headphones. 

To send messages to the radio, I am using DAX RESERVED AUDIO RX 1 and to Monitor messages I am using DAX Audio TX 1. PTT Control is set to use COM6 (my designated PTT control for Flex-6500) and RTS is checked.

Any suggestions for what I can do so that I can actually hear what I am transmitting when I click a button in VoiceKeyer.

Answers

• Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Gary, try the suggestion here  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/a_simple_way_to_listen_the_dax_transmitted_audio

turning on windows mixer "listen" should put the DAX TX audio out the PC speakers.

• Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion. It works great.
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    While using VAC's Audio Repeater is a good work-around for currently listening to your DAX audio, it is somewhat cumbersome to use. You have to re-enter your DAX and output information each time you open Audio Repeater.

Hopefully, Flex-Radio will correct this deficiency (inability to monitor DAX audio from within SmartSDR) when they update SmartSDR in the future. 
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I think I probably picked the wrong posting e.g. mentioning VAC.  I don't use VAC and just turn on the "listen" in the windows audio mixer to hear the DAX TX audio.
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    I appreciate the help Dave but, I can't find the windows audio mixer on my computer. As a result, I can't find a place to turn on "listen". Could you be a bit more specific? I am feeling dumb right now and could use the assistance. Thanks!!
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    No problem Gary   In the lower right of Windows   you see a speaker symbol.....  if you left click you can speaker volume.   Instead right click on the symbol, one option will be for recording devices

Once it is open a window will popup with all your devices
    find the DAX TX device you're using (probably TX 1) highlight it and then click on properties

A window will open with 4 tabs   --  click on the listen tab

click on  Listen to this device button

click OK,  OK   that's it  you should now hear TX1 in your speakers.
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    Excellent instructions. Works like a champ. Turns out it was my DAX RX1 device that worked for me. Thanks for all your help.

Let us hope that Flex-Radio comes up with a future fix to SmartSDR so that it acts just like PowerSDR does when you use VoiceKeyer, i.e., you hear your canned message through the same speakers or headphones that you use to operate all other aspects of the radio. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.