Cannot select RX Ant B for diversity receive

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have a 6700 and Maestro. Latest SSDR. I have two loop antennas used for receive only that are configured in the radio as RX Ant A and RX Ant B. SSDR will not let me select RX Ant B as a diversity receive antenna. It will only allow me to select RX Ant A. My loops are deployed in orthogonal configuration. I cannot select B in SSDR for Win or in Maestro. This problem was identified here about a year ago but there seems to have been no fix. It is 160 meter season and propagation has been great recently but I cannot use the full advantage of diversity receive since I cannot switch from one loop to another during operation! The 6700 is a GREAT radio but it is crippled by the inability to use diversity receive to its full capability. Any idea about when this will be addressed?
Photo of Mike - N1MD

Mike - N1MD

• 86 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 834 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes

If you have an Antenna Genius, that would be a convenient work around in the SO2R mode.

Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 448 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Mike- Agree 160M has been exciting the last week. Wish I could stay up until 3AM to catch sunrise in EU. What loops are you using? How much better than your transmit antenna? I upgraded to 6700 for Diversity and dual antenna capability as well.
Photo of Mike - N1MD

Mike - N1MD

• 86 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have two Pixel Tech Loops -- one on the EU-XE axis and the other on the Caribbean-JA axis. RX Ant A is the EU antenna. My 160 meter antenna is an inverted L that is up about 45 feet with the horizontal limb directed towards EU. I find the loops are not necessarily better at receive than the inverted L but the combination of directivity in the headphones and the awesome noise reduction is often very helpful for good copy. I worked 5B4AMM last night and it was generally noisy with deep QSB but I was able to hear just enough with the loop in one ear and the L in the other plus the great noise reduction tools in SSDR to make the QSO. My first Cyprus contact on 160 and woke up this AM with a confirmation on LoTW!
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 448 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike- Worked 5B4ALJ on JT65 last night, my first on 160M also.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
Not a bug. It is all about the SCU and how it assigned to antenna ports.

For diversity to work, each antenna has to be connected to a different SCU. If the parent antenna is connected to SCU-1, then the only antenna options for the child slice are the ports that can connect to SCU-2. RX-A is always associated with the first SCU and RX-B is always associated with the other SCU. The ANT-x ports are dynamically allocated to an SCU. The only way to "force" a particular SCU to an ANT-X port is to put a coax jumper on the RX In/Out loop and enable the loop when ANT-X is selected as the RX antenna.

Using SmartSDR v1.10.8, I am able to set up a diversity configuration where slice A (parent) is using ANT-1 on SCU-1 (using the loop) and the child slice is using RX-B as the RX antenna.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike - N1MD

Mike - N1MD

• 86 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Got it! Thanks. I was almost there two nights ago when trying to work the problem but didn't quite finish the analysis correctly.
Parenthetically it does seem like the Antenna Genius would be a more elegant way to arrive at the solution.
No? Or am I missing something again?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
You should be able to create a parent slice and assign the RX antenna to RX-A and connect on one of the receive loop antennas to RX-A IN and assign the TX antenna to ANT-1 and connect it to the antenna you transmit on. Then create a diversity child slice and assign the RX antenna to RX-B and connect the second loop antenna to RX-B IN.
(Edited)