Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cannot remotely key transmitter from WSJT-X

KC9EI - Dave
KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
When working remotely from a hotel (or motorhome) I cannot remotely key my 6600M with WSJT-X. I can key with MOX of course and the voice modes work fine. I really would like to work WSJT in the evening while I am traveling. Any suggestions other than TeamViewer or something like it?

I have an open VPN connection to my home Lan and can access the other computers through the VPN connection.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You could try VOX, perhaps.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Some additional thoughts... It's my understanding the communications between the radio and remote (via internet) Maestro is TCP basically. The Maestro performs keying, audio, AND CW functions …. via the Internet yet am I to believe the same is not possible via SSDR? If yes I find this highly suspicious and perhaps a marketing ploy. At a minimum this is a HUGE hole in FLEX capabilities. Why would a traveling CW or digital operator want to purchase a FLEX radio? 

I love my FLEX but need full remote operation when away from my home base. AM I thinking wrong here?
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'm sitting in my hotel room for the weekend so I'll try the VOX solution. Thank you
  • KP2L
    KP2L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Try kenwood ts2000 for rig control in wsjt-x.

carl KP2L

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, I would try that.  It may be that your TCP connection to WSJT-X is not working over the VPN.  Setting it to Kenwood-TS2000 and a virtual Serial port may clear that up.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I run digital and cw remotely both with SmartLink and via VNC (remote desktop). About the only thing I don’t have running is a remote keyer, but CWX is okay when remote.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    No success there yet Ken. I refuse to give up though.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • KP2L
    KP2L Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    What happens in wsjt-x when you go to File>settings>radio tab and click on the Test PTT button?   What happens when you click on the Test CAT button?  Is it green?   It is possible you have a corrupt copy of WSJT.  Do you get different results over the vpn versus locally? And I assume you have the latest version of wsjt (1.9.1)??

Carl KP2L
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When I initially start WSJT-S.... The "Test Cat" button goes green when pushed and then Off when pushed again then it goes back to green on it's own. I turn it off, and it goes green again. The PTT seems to key but I'm not putting out any audio/Modulation.  

It seems it wants to play but just can't get there.
  • KP2L
    KP2L Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Is transmit streaming enabled in the Dax panel and the gain slider set to the correct level??   That is what sends audio from wsjt to the radio.  Maybe restart Dax?  I assume you have the correct audio setup in wsjt settings> Audio tab >Output set to DAX Audio TX???

• JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If you are using OpenVPN, the IP address assigned to your remote computer is not on the same network address as your home LAN.   The Flex radios will not respond unless your remote PC has a 192.168.X.X address, assuming your home LAN is using 192.168.X.X.   Open VPN assigns its own IP address.   Try PPTP from a Windows PC (I know less secure) as that will assign your remote computer a 192.168.X.X address and the Flex has no idea if you are remote or local.   Remember also that running WSJT-X remotely could add timing issues.   That is why Flex recommends using a local PC (local to your Flex radio) to operate Digital modes and for CAT.  You can connect to the local PC using Teamviewer.   Personally I do not like that and am hoping for remote audio and remote CAT in a future software release.   If you can travel with a Maestro, you can connect your keyer to the Maestro.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you John. I'll look into right away when I get back. I'm currently running OpenVPN but willing to try anything.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.