Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cannot "Disconnect User"

W7KHZ
W7KHZ Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
SmartSDR shows that my radio is in use on my local network (remotely controlled) computer, but will not allow me to "Disconnect User". For some reason the connection failed between the radio and the computer after leaving it up and running on WSJTX for several hours. I have reset the computer (remotely) and restarted SmartSDR seeing the same "In Use" indication and my computer name. This is not the first time this has done this. It also does it on another radio that I use at the local network I am on now. We have not yet installed a "brute force" remote power reset for the Flex Radio (6300) yet, but it now looks very necessary. I am 250 miles away from the radio now and will need to have someone else visit the shop and power down the radio. Why does the (these) radio(s) stay hung up like this? Is there not a internal watchdog routine of some type that disconnects the connection when it is no longer there after a significant period of time????? Does anyone have or know of a "secret" tool I can use to override this error, as the SmartSDR program can evidently talk to the radio, it just isn't "smart" enough to tell it to reset the frozen connection that it thinks still exists.

Comments

• Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    Mine did that yesterday also. Same exact problem and same exact solution.  I wonder if it has something to do with the smart link service being down?? 

Bill K4fx
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Mine did it this morning.  I actually connected over my LAN to my 6600.  It was real sluggish and after bringing up the SSDR window it just hung.  So I killed SSDR restarted it and the radio said in use by my IP.

I waited a fair amount of time and it never came back.  So I remote reset my 6600 using the remote on/off jack.  It came back normally.
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The problem appears to be the smartlink server, I get the same error message when I use the smartlink server. However if I go in to my remote site via my own VPN all is functinging normally.
  • W7KHZ
    W7KHZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I am pretty sure that this is not related to the Smartlink server. But I could easily be wrong as it only appears to be a local connection to the radio and not via a Smartlink session. It’s not new behavior. It has been something that happens every now and then since we started using these radios a few months ago.
  • W7KHZ
    W7KHZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes. That is the same behavior we have seen on both radios and when only connecting using a LAN connection to the radios using a computer locally or remotely. This is not something we have seen with a Smartlink session. I have been able to reset those without much of a problem or disconnect an existing Smartlink user.
  • W7KHZ
    W7KHZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    So, an update. The radio was left alone for 24 hours. I came back (remotely) and now the computer, on the same LAN as the radio, no longer "sees" the radio in the SSDR radio list. It can only see the other radio that is remote from this location, that appears as a "Smartlink" option.

To explain the configuration a bit. We use two accounts. One account at one location can see the radio on the LAN and a remote radio available as a Smartlink connection. At the remote location, and under a different login account, the computer there now "sees" the Smartlink connection radio as a LAN connection, and the "home" radio as a Smartlink connection. Obviously, if a Smartlink connection is made from an IOS device or a computer that is not connected to either LAN, then the account being used will only see one Smartlink radio or another.

The behavior described at the beginning of the original post was showing the remote radio from the home location as being "InUse" on both the LAN connection account and in the Smartlink account when being accessed from the home computer.

I apologize if this may be a bit much, but I think this may help in isolating this down as a firmware issue in the radio that may need tweaking to allow for a watchdog reset process to be built to return a radio to an available state, rather than having to physically get to the power switch or build up a remote reset. Its a good thing that the radio is not in an isolated location, for now. Winter time will be much different. May be a fix sooner than later?
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    My 6700 does this as well. I am not using Smartlink and when the problem occurs, I can not disconnect the user. The problem usually occurs when I change bands using a profile. The rig just stops, almost as if the profile never fully loaded. I use the profiles daily and they work. Shutting down the software and restarting does nothing. The only fix I have found is to power down the radio by the on/off button and turn it back on. There is no need to remove power from the radio to solve the problem. Sometimes it goes weeks without an issue, sometimes it happens a couple of times a day. It just happened this morning around 10:43am and it has been a good week or more since the last time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.