Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can anyone tell me if the new FLEX 6000 Radios will function on Windows 8 with 64 bit Operating syst

Options
W4EY
W4EY Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It works for me.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Had to replace a Computer and all that was available local was one with Win 8. I had loaded the SmartSDR's latest program and was sufficient with running the FLEX. Was just wondering if I needed some additonal computer programs to load that was not included with Win8. Some application such as .net Thanks
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Mine works well on a Lenovo Ideacentre K410 with i3 processor & 6GB RAM. I got it at BestBuy online for $399 around Christmas. It has worked well not only with my new Flex-6500 but with a Flex-1500 before it. You don't need a ton of processor to run SmartSDR. But extra horsepower helps when you start running more stuff along with it.
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The primary requirement is video / graphics performance, less so the OS.
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    i have a buyer for my 5K as soon as i receive my 6500 and get it up and running, i have all but memorized the manuals for the 6000 series. i am currently running Windows XP which works fine with the 5K however my computer started to lose its mind 3 days ago and i suspect it is on the verge of crashing completely. i had the same problem about 6 weeks after i bought the PC in 2007 and they ended up replacing the whole motherboard (warranty replacement). i've seen a lot of people who have had problems with Windows 8 so i was wondering if i should get Win 7 or Win 8 on the new PC when that time comes.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Don, I use both Win 7 32bit and Win 8.1 64bit without issue. Recommend 8.1 64 bit on a new PC so you can use more than 4GB of RAM. Win 7 32 will let you use older software (DOS). Andrew.
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    thanks for the info Andrew. i have no older DOS software so Windows 8.1 looks good.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Don:
    I run a Pentium 64 bit Intel Core 3.40Ghz processor with Win 8.1 64Bit Operating system and the FLEX 6500. The Computer memory has been upgraded to 10 Gb.
    I have experienced minor issues which appear to be the network glitches. Glitches such as I loose network connection to the FLEX if it has been idle for some periods.
    Restarting the computer which established the network resolves the loss of devices on the network.  No issues with SmartSDR and DAX. I also, use the latest versions of Fldigi, and HRD.  The main modes of operation here are CW and Digital. My only wish is that we had the preprogrammed CW features on the 6500 as we did on the 5000.
    Have fun with the new FLEX.
    Bill
    W4EY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.