Can you use the 6700 ATU and an external tuner at the same time

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I have a 6700 and an LDG 600 ProII tuner.  When leaving the ATU in Bypass the Flex SWR reads 1.7 and the LDG reads 1

When using the Flex ATU along with the LDG the Flex reads 1.2 and the LDG reads 1

So should I be using both the ATU and external LDG  at the same time and which meter should I really believe?

Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 194 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 430 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
No, they will fight  each other, so when the eternal changes load, it will present a different load to the internal atu which will change the expected impedence resulting in a swr mismatch causing it to tune.

I guess if you turned off the 'automatic' feature in both of them (tune the external one so its 'tuned' t0 your desired band) and leave it, you could possibly co-exist with the atu in the 6700.

To be honest (and this is the old fogey in me), i am not so enamoured with ATUs, I would rather have the antennas tuned to what they should be. I understand items like 9 band vertical installations would probably require some help on all 9 bands, as definitely would longwire setups.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 195 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Solved my problem. I had to move a few things around behind my desk and one of my connections became a bit loose. I tightened it up and now the SWR are back to 1:1 on both the Flex meter and LDG with the Flex ATU in Bypass.

All is well again.