Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can VSP Numbers Be Changed in SmartSDR CAT?

Moose
Moose Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
I need to send data between two programs using a VSP pair (COM6/COM106). The problem is the neither program will accept a three digit com port value. Can I change the three digit port number to a two digit number?

73 Chris AK4SK

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You can use any port number you like as long as it isn't already in use.  

Some applications only use com ports up to 8 or 16 depending on what application they were compiled on.

I often use 06/16 and 26/36 as an idea.

Mike va3mw
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks. How do I change them?

Chris
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+renumber+com+ports

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :)

Mike va3mw
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You cannot change the three digit port to two digit port. The built in VSP driver will not allow it. You have to use a seperate VSP driver, the ports you create with it cannot interfere with the SSDR port driver. Good Luck.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You know, Bob is correct.  I assumed (ouch) that like all VSP drivers, you can change the number.   The port settings tab is not there. 

I apologize for any confusion. 

Mike va3mw

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks. I know how to renumber com ports, hence my question.

I was trying to use com0com but it interferes with SmartSDR CAT and I need SmartSDR CAT working.

73 Chris AK4SK
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @Chris Open CAT Select the Serial port you wish to use Click on that port to open it RIght Click --> Advanced You can now select the port numbers Hope this helps
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    That is not an option for the VSPs, only regular com ports. There is no port settings tab, advanced option, etc. That is why I asked the question to begin with. I was hoping there was some SmartSDR CAT settings menu I didn't know where to find.

As somebody stated above, I don't think they can be changed.

If I could get com0com to play nice with SmartSDR CAT that would solve my problem. But when I try to run them together I get some "Unhandled somethingorother" error from SmartSDR CAT.

73 Chris AK4SK
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    That is not an option for the VSPs, only regular com ports.?

image Not sure what you are saying??"
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Hmm, I wonder why I don't have that option? Here is what I see. The other pair to COM6 shows up in device manager as COm106.

73 Chris AK4SK

• Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Also, the only thing I can change is which VFO Slice it is associated with, I can't change the Client COM.

Chris
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I got it it now. I right clicked on the "FlexVSP" button and got the advanced option to show up.

I originally thought you were telling me to change the port number in device manager (as you can with regular com ports).

Thanks!

73 Chris AK4SK
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I actually uninstalled SmartSDR beta, cleared out all of my VSP and other ghost ports along with all previously installed COM port software drivers and assignments.  Started over fresh.

After rebooting, I verified that no com ports were in use and then installed SmartSDR beta.

I opened up SmartSDR CAT and COM4 came up with CAT COM=14.  COM5-105, 6-106 and 7-107.

I have no idea why COM4 had assigned COM14 for the CAT COM instead of COM 104.

I then went into device manager.  It looked ok.  I added FlexControl and it assgned COM3.   I wanted to move the FlexControl up to COM103 and get it out the the lower COM numbers to keep them free for devices that require low COM port numbers.   Anyway, I went into the FlexControl device and when I went to change the COM port, every COM port from COM3 all the way up to COM50 showed as (in use).

I have gone through this entire process several times now and just can't seem to get things cleaned up.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    This gets weirder.  This last rebuild of the COM ports showed all com ports from COM3 through COM26 as (in use).  I then rebooted the computer and noticed from COM3 through COM34 (in use).  Every time I reboot the computer 8 more ports appear as (in use).  I'm now up to COM3 through COM50 as (in use).

Anyone have any suggestions?  I have an incredible amount of applications on this system and a complete rebuild would be a tremendous amount of work.  The OS is the latest Windows 10 with all of the updates.

Norm
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Norm

Sounds like you're suffering from ghosted Com Ports.
    Which can be a pain to clean up.
    Thrashing around using the wrong clean up method can make the mess even worse.

If this is what's happening then this link to a helpdesk article might apply.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200883925-Removing-Hidden-or-Ghosted-Com-ports

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Moose

Back to your OP, SmartCAT can no longer create  Virtual Serial "Cables" it only creates Virtual Serial "Ports". VSPM, (similar to CommOComm) which you can aquire from K5FR at ...
    http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=VSP_Manager

can create Virtual Serial "Cables" IOW 2 linked Virtual Serial "Ports" that can be used to interconnect two programs running on your PC.

One caution though! It will be up to "you" to prevent VSPM and SmartCAT from creating conflicted Virtual serial ports. Windows will let them do that. Don't create ports with either program that stomp on the assignments from the other program. Conflicts will cause an even messier Ghosted Com Port mess.

Both VSPM and SmartCAT are unaware that the other exists, Both assume they are the only software in use that creates Virtual Serial ports. VSPM predates SmartCAT by several years. And SmartCAT originally could replace VSPM, so it wasn't designed to be used in parallel with VSPM. 

When changing or deleting ports created by either program, you must use the software that created them. Deleting them with Device Manager doesn't always work. and often adds to the Port Ghosting problem.

You can create Virtual Cables this way but it can be very tricky to maintain. So it may not be worth it to you in the end.

Of course all mistakes can still be resolved with a Clean Reinstall of Windows, and Everything Else, as a last resort. but I don't recommend that. I can usually correct those mistakes on my machine without such drastic measures. But I "almost" know what I'm doing. image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Jay, but I've already followed those instructions several times.  It the past, clearing the ghost ports has always worked.  I go in and remove all ghosted (greyed out) devices.  I reboot, I go in and verify that all is good.  I then install SmartSDR beta the devices still look good.  I edit the FlexControl device and change the port to COM103.  All is good so far except that COM103, 104, 105, 106 do not appear as (in use).  That's pretty strange since SmartSDR  VSP has just assigned them.

I now reboot and the next time I edit the FlexControl and look at available ports.  All of the ports between COM3 and COM26 appear as (in use).  I run through the steps to remove hidden or ghosted com ports and NONE show up.  Each time I reboot the machine, another 8 com ports show up as (in use).

I've gone in, removed every COM device on the machine, removed all ghosted ports and rebooted.  Installed a com device and everything looks good until I install SmartSDR and configure VSP.   I've been using SmartSDR for 3 years, since v1 and have never had this type of issue with com ports before.

I am hoping the answer to the puzzle is something other than re-installing windows 10 Pro.

Norm
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Norm

I doubt reinstalling windows is necessary yet, but I'm clueless at the moment about why reboots are creating your ghosts. But I'd like to avoid whatever that cause, is, in the future. image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Jay.    My reference to VSP should have been to FlexVSP, not VSPM.   I'm having this issue with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, latest updates to the OS.  The only thing installed on the OS is MS Office.   I then made an image of the OS Drive.

I then installed the drivers for Elecraft amp and tuner, installed KPA and KAT software and put the devices on COM21 and COM22.

Next I installed SmartSDR Beta 1.10.8 and this is where the problems start.  Every time I reboot, it does something to the unused com ports and marks them (in use).  Windows does still allow me to use the ports and assign them as needed.  The problem is that I have 80+ ports that now show up as (in use).  Every time I reboot the OS, 8 more ports are marked as (in use).  This has nothing to do with ghosted ports....

Norm
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Norm

Ignore my comments to Moose about VSPM. Moose started this thread asking about Virtual cables, or I thought he did. I was responding to him.

Have you tried disabling the SmartCat startup job. to see if that has any effect?

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay,

Disabling SmartCAT has no effect.

After my OS install from scratch yesterday, I made a system image prior to installing the SmartSDR beta software.  After the corruption, I went back and loaded the image I had made.

I'm now running SmartSDR v1.9.13.173 and it is better.   The older version no longer corrupts ALL of the ports showing them ALL as (in use).

Strange thing with the older version though.  It fails to show any of the ports it is using as (in use), but that is much better than corrupting ALL of the ports and showing them ALL as (in use).

I've created a helpdesk request thinking there must be others that have the same issue but may not know about it.

Norm

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.