Can the Flex 6000 signature series be controlled (CAT) through the accessory port?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Hi all, I have a Flex 6300. My question concerns the DB-15 accessory port on the back. I looked at the pin-outs and noticed that pins 12 and 15 are for IO. My question is can CAT commands be passed to the radio and output sent from the radio through the accessory port? Put another way can the rig be controlled through the accessory port? My reason for asking is that I have been in contact with the developer of the Hampod (http://hampod.org) and he may be able to add Flex support but he would like to do I through the serial port. Is this possible?
Photo of Frank Ventura

Frank Ventura

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 670 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
The DB-15 port on the back of the radio is an accessory port. If you look at the hardware doc for the radio it will tell you what pinouts do. It's definitely not a serial port. 
Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 120 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
If you go to the Flexradio documentation section, there is a "SmartSDR CAT Software Users Guide" (v 1.30, 2017-08-00, CAT v2.0.17) that may be helpful. It basically describes and lists syntax for all the supported CAT commands available.
73 Jim, WQ2H
Photo of Frank Ventura

Frank Ventura

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Jim, thank you very much. I have that document. Unless I am reading it wrong it describes the commands that you can use with the SmartCAT software through a virtual COM port. However, what I am asking is can those same commands be used through the DB-15 serial port on the rear of the rig?
Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 120 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Well, as Bob indicated - the "Hardware Reference" document (paragraphs 7.6.8 & 7.6.11) says that with regard to those two specific pins, one should refer to the SmartSDR documentation for more information.
My experience with Flex is still in it's infancy - so I'll need to completely parse through those documents first. I'm also not well versed in I2C, but I'm sure someone will chime in - good luck !
73 Jim, WQ2H
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
You can control the flex through the ethernet connection using api or through smartcat sdr through virtual com ports setup. The accesorry port is for usb stuff for band changing of amplifiers.

So to answer your question straight forward it would be "you know you dont have to ask dear, the answer is NO!"
(Edited)
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 129 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Regarding question:  Can you use the I2C serial bus on the Flex 6000 AUX connector for external device interfacing.

Answer:  In theory, some limited applications *may* be possible, but I would advise against it, and use
traditional CAT commands over the virtual serial ports on the PC (which are mapped by the user with the SmartCAT utility).

The I2C bus has relatively high impedance and low noise immunity.  It uses 5volt TTL logic, and requires a common ground potential, which again restricts practical use to communication within the same PC board or small system of boards.  It was not designed for external large distance usage like RS-232 communications are.

Ref:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2C

Neal
Photo of Frank Ventura

Frank Ventura

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Neal, thanks that makes sense. Sticking point now is that the SmartCAT utility isn't screen reader friendly.