Can’t get 6600M to key KPA500

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
I’ve connected my 6600M to the Elecraft KPA500 and KAT500, but the 6600M will not to key the Amp. I have the RCA TX1 from the 6600M connected to the KAT500, then the KAT500 PTT RLY connected to the KPA500 PA Key. I have a coax cable on ANT1 on the rig, and it is connected to the KPA500 RF Input. A coax is also connected from the KPA500 RF Out to the KAT500 XMTR. I also enabled TX1 In the rig’s menu, and disabled the 6600M’s ATU. When I press the tune button on the rig, I get 10w out of the rig, but the amp does not key.

What could I be doing wrong? I had it working with my 6500 with the same wiring setup. Any and all advice appreciated!
Photo of  Carl Jón Denbow N8VZ

Carl Jón Denbow N8VZ

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of  Carl Jón Denbow N8VZ

Carl Jón Denbow N8VZ

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Official Response
Thanks, everyone.  Problem now solved.  I apparently had corrupted firmware in the KAT500.  I was using the most recent version (1.75), but I forced a new install of the same version, and voila pressing Tune on the rig now keys the amp and it amplifies as per normal.  Rich's suggestion to unplug the Flex and see if shorting the connector pins would send the amp into TX was the key.  When it didn't produce TX, I started to focus on the KAT500, and that's where the problem was.  Not sure how I got the firmware in the KAT500 corrupted.  But, as they say, all's well that ends well!
(Edited)