Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can someone please post functional settings for MMTTY on the flex 6000 series?

ctate243
ctate243 Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

I am looking for some functional real world MMTTY settings for the flex 6500 so I can close this final piece of my station.  I am an active contester and wish to use multiple slices in N1MM in conjunction with MMTTY in a contest environment using DAX.  I have gotten to a point previously where I can decode rtty, but I have thus far been unsuccessful understanding how to get the radio to key.. vox.. however..  if someone could please assist me with setup scenarios It would help me out, and would add a lot of value to the community.  Or if it exists.. send me a link so I can leverage the instructions. There uses to be a post but the link was dead the last time I checked.  This is the final piece for me to make a full transition to a flex based contesting system.  (No Fl digi.. etc....). Thanks in advance for any subject matter experts who can "show me the light".

Answers

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Chris, please see http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jlg0RWm0UIo?vq=hd1080 perhaps it will help you even those it is for PowerSDR.  I have set up both PowerSDR and SmartSDR with MMTTY I don't recall the fundamentals being that different. In the example, I use two match ports 16 to 6.  I do not set up MMTTY for FSK.  I use the basic sound-card set up, not shown in this quick video. I do not have DDutil used in this example but I usually use DDutil, so if you need info on how to set up with DDutil in the equation, let me know.
    Andy k3Uk
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Chris,

I have a 6300 and have been using 2Tone as the MMTTY replacement with N1MM, but I am guessing the configuration is the same. Below is what I have as my setup:

1. Create an additional serial port on SmartSDR CAT, select PTT as the port type and the pin change type (I have mine set as RTS), ex.: COM5
    2. On N1MM go to Config menu, then select "Configure Ports," 
    3. On the Hardware tab select the port for the radio then select the radio type
    4. On the Hardware tab select a second port that you created for PTT (ex.: COM5), check the box CW/Other, then click on Set. Configure the RTS pin as the PTT, you can fill in the other details as needed. 
    5. Go to the Digital Modes tab and configure the settings as needed. If you are using DAX select the digital interfaces as Soundcard.
    6. Once you have all your configuration complete, click save to exit the configuration.
    7. On N1MM go to the Window menu and select "Digital Interface" to open the decoding window. 
    8. Once the Digital Interface window opens, go to the Interface menu and select MMTTY. This should open the MMTTY window.
    9. On the Digital Interface window again, go to the Setup menu and select Settings. This will open the settings screen. Make adjustments as necessary. 
    10. On the MMTTY window go to the settings and select the DAX channels that you are using to receive and transmit. 
    11. The most challenging piece I have found was to adjust the filter on the slice to match the tones on the MMTTY. I have been using DIGL as the mode and the filter centered at 2200 Hz, with the low end at 2000 Hz and high at 2400. Then I set the MMTTY alignment frequency (on the settings described on step 9) to the center of the slice, 2200 in this case. This makes the frequency match the spots.

I hope this brief setup helps you get up and running. Please let me know if you have any question, or need any more detail in any of the steps.

Eduardo - KC8R

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Eduardo.. This was awesome.  thanks a lot I think I can construct an instruction page for other users based on you getting me started here. Particularly on the filter aspect.. I will post them up here on the forum if there is an appropriate place for it that will not time out...

I was wondering if I could trouble you for the following settings:

1.  All your settings on the demodulator tab of MMTTY (with particular interest in discriminator type, Mark, Tone and your Ham default settings.

2.  Approximate TX gain settings for the TX dax so I am not totally overdriving stuff..  (I have been using FSK on my K3's for years and simply have not done much with AFSK for.. like ever.) and when I did I was using windows sound card levels.. any help you could provide for this would be awesome. (or anyone else out there for that matter who are familiar with using DAX as this is all super new stuff for me).

Again thanks I think I am really close.. to the folks that Me too'd this I will try and pull something together with screen shots.

Chris

N6WM

• EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Chris,

Sorry I did not provide more details before. Attached are the settings pages for N1MM and 2Tone respectively. Note that I have replaced MMTTY by 2Tone, but I think they are very similar. My understanding is that 2Tone is a bit simpler and decodes equal or better than MMTTY. Some big stations that I know operate 2Tone, so I gave it a shot and liked it.

imageimage

The other thing that I like about 2Tone is that it is very simple to get it setup and working, there is only one settings screen and only a few settings on the interface window.

As far as the DAX settings, I keep the DAX RX at 70 and the TX I set it so it does not overdrive the TX level (not letting it go into red), this is about 55 for me. Also, make sure that you turn the processor and any compression OFF.

Let me know if this helps. 

Eduardo - KC8R
  • Ben Morris
    Ben Morris Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thank you!  This was very helpful.  I needed help on the frequency shift and how to accomplish that part and this post answered that question.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.