Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can not load new software into multiple 6700R radios, Firmware version 1.04

Watts - K4QJZ
Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have recently received multiple original 6700R receivers for a project (Never used) and went to upgrade the firmware in the radios from the original factory installation. Radios were first tested with the original shipped software on a different system.
I tried using Software version 1.34 currently installed under windows 7 64 bit, dual core 7 and 8Gigs of memory. Laptop and software worked fine with 2 other 6700Rs and my own 6700. Tried to upgrade the additional 6700Rs I had received. Software 1.34 saw the radios, said it was upgrading, but in reality nothing happened on the radio end to indicate they were being upgraded. However the progress bar on the software side indicated an upload/upgrade was progressing. This went on for 45 minutes as I tried waiting for the upgrade to complete. Each time I tried it with no conclusion of an upgrade, 3 times each. Radio and Computer network interfaced via the same switch with a router supplying the IP addresses to each. Closed network, no internet or external connections.
Tried the same steps after fully uninstalling version 1.34 and installing 1.4. Same results.
Looked to find first version of software released after current installed firmware as a start but it appears past versions are no longer available.
Suggestions as to the next step to try?

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Just a simple question/thought, but can you ping the radio while the upgrade is happening? If you haven't tried ping, try "ping -t ipaddress_of_radio".
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Different firmware for receive-only units?

Jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    No, all radios use the same firmware.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Watts - this will take a bit of one-on-one troubleshooting so I have converted this topic into a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  A tech support engineer will be contacting you shortly.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This seems like the radio is on a direct link to PC but should be connected via a server when doing upgrade.  

-Tim-  Pse let me know if the analysis was correct. // Thanks..

--...  ...--
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I am still collecting information, but I suspect it was a software change to the discovery protocol that is preventing the upgrade from a very early version of SmartSDR.
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and thoughts. It appears Tim has found a difference in how an original firmware in the radios detected the presence of a radio and the improved way it is done now. If we had upgraded the radios as the upgrades came out we would not have seen the issue. They have offered a copy of the old software which contained the transitional upgrade to bridge across the upgrade issue. It now appears that once we upgrade the radios, they will accept the current versions bringing them to current status. Thanks again to all who replied!  "73"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.