Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I use the power from the UBB port on Flex 6300

Options
Delbert McCord
Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
I want to power a laptop cooler from my Flex 6300

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes. I have been using a laptop cooler powered by my 6700 USB port for several years.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You can but generally you shouldn't. 
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    yea not a real good idea, better to get a POWERED USB  Hub  then plug the powered hub into your 6000 series and your Fan, FTDI Cables and devices into the HUB.

Bret WX7Y
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thank for the input, I see 2 reply's that say I should not do it, can you tell me why? The lovely laptop cooler has the on and off switch on the back and I do not want to have to move the rig to turn it on and off. I power my Flex (and the rest of my shack for that matter except the amp that needs 220) from my solar battery bank. The bank is never switched off so I was just thinking (damgerous for me) that the fans would turn off and on with the rig. I can build a 5 volt supply from 12 volts and wire a switch but if there is not a good reason why do it. This cooler has 2 5 inch fans in it that run slow to the point that I do not hear them at all.

Please do not think I am arguing I just want to know why, the Flex 6300 has 2 USB ports and I at this time do not use either of them. Is the current draw a problem?

Thanks for your time in replying.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Like Howard, I have run a laptop cooler off the USB port for quite a while with no apparent ill effects. About all I could think Bret and Ria are suggesting is that there could be a potential rig issue if there was a failure of the cooler, either through a short or transient. Of course it also does take up a port, so if you need more than one USB connection, Bret's solution is definitely the way to go.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I think the concern for those who don't recommend it is the current draw from attached equipment.
    If something were to short out, or deliver a voltage or current surge, then what would you rather repair of replace....a $20 USB hub, or a $4,000 Flex Rig?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My initial concern would be electro and magnetic noise generated by the fan getting back into the radio's circuitry.  In addition, Ken brings up a good point about voltage surges, which if they damage the USB port, would not be covered as a warranty repair
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That is my thinking as well. The last thing I want is an inductive load connected to my radio that could induce a power surge back into it. They probably have filtering up the **** but I would rather not take the chance especially when USB wall warts are a dime a dozen.

• Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OK, thanks to everyone that took the time to reply.
    DE K8OCN
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If designed in full accordance with the USB2 standard then the port should be current limited to either 100mA or 500mA, so should be self protecting. I have seen thousands of phyically damaged usb ports but not a single electrically dead port.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.