Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I use my PR40 mic on my computer through the Flex?

Options
N6OIL
N6OIL Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    How are you using it? remote? otherwise, why not go directly to the radio?
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    If you want to plug it into the Flex, Flex sells an XLR adaptor cable for that.
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Rory....why do you want to do that?....

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Do it - it works well here
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I use mine, Flex sells the adapter you need. Go direct into the rig without any eq or other equipment. 
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    There are XLR to USB adapters you can use to connect your mic to a PC/Mac.
  • Paul Lourd
    Paul Lourd Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I was also wondering about this. Here is my situation. When sitting at the Flex and Computer with the headphones on, sometimes I want to pass the time watching a YouTube or something.  If you turn "PC AUDIO" on, you can get the mix of computer and Flex audio, but the Mic connected to the flex no longer works. Unless I am missing a setting! W1ip
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My PR40 is already XLR'd to the radio. I would like to use my mic when I'm Zoom calls or Google Meets that why I was asking. The crummy webcam does not have great audio and I don't want to run a mixer since it's already built into the Flex 6500.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    ok, you can get the adaptor that takes it from XLR to 1/8 plug but will the mic need power?. in that case just get a small 2 or 4 channel mixer. that way XLR into the mixer and RCA to 1/8 plug out.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I use the PR40 together with a Rolls MP13 Preamp.  (A very happy combo)

I have added three isolated outputs to the rolls for other devices as I have a laptop and a tower and my shack vhf rig.  They all use the PR 40 at the same time
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You've already stated you are using a 6500...  Very good.  I plug an XLR directly into the rear of mine with cable and set the mic selector for BAL...  The problem using the PR40 is it may require a bit more gain than the +20 switch gives you.

Just about EVERY podcaster utilizes some form of preprocessing preamp.  The PR40 has more output than the RE20, but still needs more zoom to get it up to speed.  The really nice preprocessor preamps also have USB audio outputs right on the BOX and they won't break the bank. 

Just remember this is CONSUMER LEVEL audio not Professional level which has much higher output audio levels. 

I don't have any recommendations for a good one, but the guys who review mics and that stuff for podcasting DO...  Erika DD
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I didn't see anyone simply answer the question. No, not directly on most computer mic inputs, as they are designed for electret microphones with a dc bias voltage applied, and I think a PR40 is a dynamic mic that doesn't tolerate a dc bias voltage. A simple circuit could remove the bias, but you would probably need some pre-amp also.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I will share my setup to use the PR40 for all devices if you like.  I have a league e-mail address.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Steve, when you turn off the bias voltage it is OFF. It's only on the front panel connector...  However going in the Back Panel BALANCED input on a 6500 you just directly plug in an XLR...  He can try the gain... I use a simple Inrad M-629 here mic to bal input.  I need the the GAIN on mine up to 55% to get any sort of punch whether AM or SSB...  Usually processor to nromal or DX for AM and DX+ on SSB I'm barefoot though.  With a Preprocessor amplifier plugged on you can select a USB mic for the computer, and the balanced out for the radio.  DD
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Eric-- read original post. He asked about plugging a PR40 into a computer. Not about plugging it into any of the radio mic inputs. Like he wants to use elsewhere from the station. or that is my interpretation of his question. And the electret bias voltage on most computer sound cards is not what a PR40 wants to see.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    who?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I have done this and it works, but you need the correct type of sound card that can take a balanced input and have an appropriate mic preamp integrated into it.  The one on your PC is not suitable. 

Something like this: 
     https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC22--behringer-u-phoria-umc22-usb-audio-interface

Make it your default Windows audio device and you're done.

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ok gang, maybe I wasn't clear before. Can I use my PR40 or any mic that is hooked up to my Flex 6500 either XLR or Foster and make it the mic of choice on a Windows 10 computer? I would like to bypass my webcam mic. I see you can pick it on the volume control mixer but I hear no input. Would I have to put the Flex into transmit mode? I don't want to use an outboard mixer. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.