Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I use an Ethernet to Wifi adapter on the 6500 Ethernet port to make it wireless?

K7NXT
K7NXT Member
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I just received my Maestro today and would like to use the Wifi feature. However, my 6500 is not close enough to my wifi router for a hard wire connection. Can I use an Ethernet to Wifi adapter on the 6500 Ethernet port?

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You should be able to as long as it passes Level 2 communications.  Some do and some don't.  I have one that I need to test, but that doesn't help you today.   I just never got around to it.

Mike va3mw
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes. Works as well as your wi-fi signal allows. You might consider a wif-fi extender with a built-in switch to connect your shack PC and Flex, That way, you have a solid connection for comparison, and can go wherever your wi-fi allows with the Maestro, laptop, tablet, etc.
  • K7NXT
    K7NXT Member
    edited June 2016
    Thx, I never would have thought to try that.  
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I have had mixed luck with extenders and the type of network traffic the flex needs to pass. I would strongly recommend trying to use G (5ghz) not B (2.4Ghz) for your wireless link between your radio and your wireless router (less interference and greater bandwidth). It can work very well unless there is a great distance between your router and the radio. B goes further at lower speeds. I recommend you look for what is known as a "wireless bridge". Best Buy and others sell them, often thought of as WiFi adapters for game machines by the sales folks. These are usally a small stand alone box where you plug a network cable into your Flex and the other end into it. They can work great with the flex. K4QJZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.