Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

can i use a 75amp. switching power supply on my 6300

75amp. switching power supply from www.RDpower.net

Answers

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Why not? It will only draw as many amps as it needs.
  • Ross Lambert
    Ross Lambert Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Sure

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    Yes, but use caution.  If there is a short of some type, a 75 amp p/s can do a lot more damage than a 30 amp supply.  With high amperage supplies, I recommend using an in-line fast **** fuse to protect the equipment in the event of a fault.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As everyone else said, certainly, but I'm curious/concerned about acoustic noise - it's a high-power power supply in a very small package. image
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The advantage with using a big supply is that you can power multiple pieces of equipment from it.

But as Tim said, absolutely you must use a proper fuse in line.  (Why would anyone NOT fuse their power leads?)

Also....With a switching power supply, I would also be careful about RF trash generated by the switching circuit in the supply itself.

I use an Alinco DM-330MV switching supply, and it is very quiet at my location.  I detect not a hint of RFI above about 400 KHz.  so I just won't operate 2200 Meters.....

There are other switchers that are not as clean.  When you get it, check to see if it generates spurs or hash.  If so...take it back.  What good is it to have a HUGE power supply if the hash it generates raises your noise floor by 10 dB?

Ken - NM9P
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

The first thing I did on my two 6500's, is to add in-line fuses (both plus and minus) on the Anderson power cord. Most mfgs. have in-line fuses included with the power cord.

Jim, K6QE

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Seems clear,,everyone agrees with Tim..lol
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    We love our Mayor!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    And the Mayor loves all you guys and gals too!  Remember to vote in November!
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I'll vote right now! Give 'em a raise!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.