Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I Run Two WSJT-X Sessions simultaneously say one on 6meters & other on 20meters

mikeatthebeach .
mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
Can I Run Two WSJT-X Sessions simultaneously say one on 6meters & other on 20meters 
Running Flex6600M here 
Can not bring up Two WSJT-X sessions up at same time - Any ideas ?
73 Mike

Answers

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Can not bring up Two WSJT-X sessions up at same time - Any ideas ?
    73 Mike
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mike
    There are several threads explaining methods for doing that here in the community, here's one way.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/running-2-copies-of-wsjtx-on-a-6600-or-6700 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2018
    It’s very easy.. download Slice Master it’s free and almost automatic...
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike 

I'd also recommend using Slicemaster, which is how I do multislice digital now, it keeps it simpler. 

https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000/releases

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I am running 3 wsjt-x's, 30,40,80m simultaneously by creating short cuts of wsjtx.exe, ie. wsjt-xb, wsjt-xc.  Configuration files are created under $HOME/AppData/local/{WSJT-X, WSJT-X - Flex6500-SliceB, WSJT-X - flex6500-sliceC} and works independently.  Also, JTAlert binds to each wsjt-x by clicking three times.   This environment makes me easier to achieve 5BDXCC that I am waiting for another 2 QSL cards for completion.
    73 de JI1BNU
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    The correct way to do it is to have a look at the documentation and see about the --rig-name flag.  

I have 2 Shortcuts, and they look like this on the Targe:

C:WSJTwsjtxinwsjtx.exe --rig-name=DAX1

and 

C:WSJTwsjtxinwsjtx.exe --rig-name=DAX2

How do you get these?

You create them within WSJTx under Configurations, rename DAX1

Now, since you have 2 unique configurations, you can have 1 set to use DAX 1 and the other to use DAX 2, or at least that is the way I do it.

Using SliceMaster now, I can get this.  2 slices using 2 copies of WSJT-x on 6M, 50.313 and 50.323.

Not bad, eh??  

Once 2.3 is released I'll do a video that shows how SliceMaster also contributes.  SliceMaster does require you to have the --rig-name configurations already completed.

Mike va3mw

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike,

Thanks for the Slice Master mention.  I cant help but to agree that it's a great way to run multiple WSJT-X instances.  But, it's even simpler than you make it out to be.

With Slice Master, you dont have to worry about the --rig-name parameter.  It will handle that for you, including creating a new one if you like.  Also, it's important to note that the configurations referred to by WSTJ-X's 'Configuration' menu are not the same as the --rig-name configurations.

Slice Master refers to the --rig-name parameter as 'Settings'.  This parameter is used to specify a folder for the WSJT-X instance to run in.  Only one WSJT-X instance can run in one of these folders at a time.  

The configurations referred to by WSJT-X's 'Configuration' menu is something else entirely.  Each '--rig-name' folder can contain any number of 'configurations'.  Once a WSJT-X instance is running, the user can choose which configuration to use for that instance. 

To my knowledge, most folks just use the default 'Configuration' and ignore the menu entirely.  But, I suppose there are advanced use cases where the menu can be handy.  Personally, I just use the 'Settings' option in Slice Master to choose which '--rig-name' I'd like the instance to run it.  By default, Slice Master is set to use 'Settings' option named after the slice.  This really should be good enough to get most folks running as many instances as they'd like.

Now with all that said, I have had some reports from folks where Slice Master had trouble creating the default 'Settings' folders.  I believe you were one of them.  So if you or anyone else hits this problem and are willing to help work through it, just send me an email.  I'd like to make this truly simple for everyone.

--Don

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2018
    Ah, I now see what SliceMaster does as I went back to try and use my DAX1 without SM and I see that has changed to the HRD connector.  

Thanks Don.

Mike

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hello Takeshi:

I am just on my second day with my new Flex;  Can you tell me; how do you make use of 20, 40, and 80meters at the same time?   In my case, I have a 6600 with two antenna connectors.   My multiband antenna's require a tuner, so with each band change, I need to do a quick tune cycle.    In your case, do you have a close enough match on a 40m and 80m dual-band antenna for one connector, and a tuned 30m antenna on the other connector?

Yes, I know with a two-SCU Flex, I can open 4 panadpters or slices, I was more curious about receiving multiple bands at the same time without  re-tuning on each band.
    I would assume it is about properly resonant multiband antenna's  at a good height and
    good spacing  [no coupling with rain-gutters, etc], so that tuning is not needed with each band of interest?  [Something that makes me dream about moving to a better QTH :-) ]

Thanks,
    Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited June 2018
    Hi Mike:

Regarding; " SliceMaster does require you to have the --rig-name configurations already completed.",
    do you mean that we should manually start WSJT-X.exe with -r=DAX1 and again with -r=DAX2, and during that, do all of the settings configuration for each, and make sure it is working, and only then start slicemaster to let it do whatever it does?

I have not used slicemaster yet, so I am trying to parse your statement above before I start playing.

Neal
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I am using home made 30-40-80m Inverted V(U) at 70' enabling me to watch these 3 bands simultaneously.  The other antenna is HexBean, 10,12,15,17,20m at 72'.   My 6500 has one SCU (4 slices).   I am not sure how they setup tuner/linear/antenna with two SCU's.

73 de JI1BNU
    Ken Yamada
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Neal,

With Slice Master, it's not necessary to create the 'rig-name' folder first, but it doesnt hurt either.  When you set the WSJT-X launch options in Slice Master you can choose which of the existing 'rig-name' folders you'd like to use for the instance.  Or... you can select the '<new>' option and create an entirely new 'rig-name' folder. The key here is that what WSJT-X calls '--rig-name', Slice Master calls 'Settings'. 

For WSJT-X and for the other other programs that Slice Master can launch, it's usually a good idea and often necessary to run the program at least once after installing it.  This will finish the installation of the program and give you a chance to enter your station information and other preferences.  But, you dont have to configure the rig or audio device information, Slice Master will do that for you later.  Setting your station information is a good idea because Slice Master will copy your "default" configuration each time it needs to make a new instance specific folder (--rig-name, for WSJT-X).  This way, you wont have to re-enter the information for each slice. 

Good luck!

--Don

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited June 2018
    Do you happen to use JTalert with each WSJT-X instance?   If so, how does JTalert know which instance, or path to a rig config file, to use?  Or does slicemaster also do that?

Thanks,

Neal
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The best way to use JTAlertX with Slice Master is to first launch one instance and configure it.  After it's configured launch as many more as you think you might need, and minimize them.  Then, when Slice Master launches a WSJT-X instance, an unused JTAlertX will pop-up and attach itself to the new WSJT-X instance.  

Aside from having to manually launch and minimize the JTAlertX instances, it all works pretty smoothly.  I'd like Slice Master to manage the JTAlertX instances for you, but that's not going to happen until they fix a couple of minor (but important to Slice Master) bugs.

--Don

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited June 2018
    Thanks, I can deal with JTalert that way, no problem.

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.