Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I make Expert 1.3k or 1.5k work without DDUTIL?

2»

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ok I have to guess at this point that there is an issue with the amp.  Perhaps a call to Expert Linears.
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I don't know what happened, but your advice seems to have worked.

I went out to the shack and repeated things, paying close attention to the instructions as amended by this thread.

Here's what happened:

1.  I got the USB version of the program to accept the product ID and begin working.  Once this took place, a lot seemed to improve in a hurry.

2.  I am doing the replace-the-ALC tuning right now.  The cable I made (to Mia's specifications) simply started working.  Don't know why.  Just did.

So. thanks to one and all.  As far as I can tell, the situation is resolved.  I don't know if I will bother with the Power on/off business as (as I have said before) powering on and off with the utility is what I am used to.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thats awesome Larry!  Good to hear!
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm confused.  If you have a pure USB cable hooked from the 2KFA directly to the Flex, then how are you interfacing with USB from the PC to the 2KFA?  Perhaps your not using a pure USB cable between the Flex and the 2KFA??? The 2KFA only has one USB port that's why I am confused.
    Peter
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Mark: to be completely clear ...for me...you are using a pure USB cable from the Flex over to the SPE 2KFA amp .....that's it correct?
    Peter

• Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm not sure if you are asking about Mark's setup (where he is helping me but we are mostly not talking about that) or my setup (I started the thread).

On my machine, anyway, I now have it working with:

1.  USB-to-USB from the PC to the Amp.
    2.  USB-to-DB9-to-DB15 from the Flex to the Amp.

It takes both cables the way I am working it and it basically makes the amp behave "as it" it were part of the Flex.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No, their appear to be posts here that suggest you can hook a USB directly from the Flex to the amp without the need for Dan's cable.  I just bought one of his cables tonight so I have it coming, amp due in Friday.  But, it would have been cool to just hook a USB cable directly from the Flex to the amp and be done with it.
    Peter

• Pekka, OH2TA
    Pekka, OH2TA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Mark, could you give some hints why I do mot get that remote connection working with virtualhere. I have a Raspberry Pi (virtualhere server running in Pi) on remote site, which is connected to SPE with USB cable. When I am on remote site and connect PC to local router using virtualhere client, I can establish connection to SPE using the 1.5K USB terminal program. But when doing the same at home where I connect to home network which is connected via VPN to the remote network (they basically are like one network). This has to be an issue with IP over ethernet, but can not figure what to try.
    Pekka OH2TA
  • Pekka, OH2TA
    Pekka, OH2TA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am trying to get SPE terminal program running in a PC at home with the USB cable from SPE connected to Raspberry Pi on remote site. Pi is connected to a router and accessible thru Internet. Could DDUTIL somehow be used here?
    Pekka OH2TA
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The amps USB port runs to the computer, but the Flex USB port connects to the amp by way of a FTDI USB to serial adapter. The cable from Dan at SPE has a serial input input which connects to the DB15 on the back of the amp.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pekka,  Your issue is most likely with ports.  VirtualHere like most networking products wants to connect between client and server using a port.  Your VPN must allow the port from the client to get to the Pi.

This may require some port forwarding in your router.  In my router I had to route all incoming port requests on that VirtualHere port to my Pi.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.