Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I get best of both worlds...Maestro and CW Skimmer, N1MM+ ??

Based on the premise that there's no such thing as a **** question: 

I'm almost in awe of how well my 6500 works with CW Skimmer and N1MM+ ; it is a true revelation for me.  However, I'm keen to use my Maestro (ok FRS...let go...let me have it....) but I don't want to lose the tight integration with CW Skimmer and N1MM+.  Is there/will there be a way of using both?

Thanks

Paul M0CVX, and ex-AC5NO ;-)

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yes That is how Maestro is intended to be used. And has already used both in contests
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the reply, Howard. The bit I'm confused about is how the DAX will work...as I understand it at the moment, there is 'virtual' communication inside my pc between CW Skimmer and Smart SDR, but with the Maestro there will be no SSDR, so how does the 6500 or Maestro communicate with CW Skimmer? Cheers Paul
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You will likely always need a computer to run CWSkimmer. DAx will reside on that computer and communicate with your radio. DAX is a separate service from SSDR
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Howard,
    Does this diagram look like it represents the setup for a CW OP to use Maestro remotely with a paddle and CW Skimmer?  Note it assumes there is a PC also in the shack for DDUtil and the user is remote via the WAN ( i.e. version 2.x)
    • PC at the shack
    • Laptop on the road
    • Maestro

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.21.77
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.21.159
    Win10

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Did you forget to add the 8yr old chant, "Na Na NE Na Na"? ;-)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Looks OK
  • Gary Shriver
    Gary Shriver Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    No expert here , but I don't think so. I asked Flex once if we could use both the computer and Maestro at the same time for duel monitors. They said no. Not at the same time. The Maestro is the computer that runs the software . So unless you can get CW Skimmer to run on the Maestro, it don't think it is going to work.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    It works ok already you just can't get two GUI clients to work at the same time. Now.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    CWSkimmer runs on the PC. Not on Maestro.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think you're close Gary. One can not have multiple client GUI apps running so where dax is owned by the pan, I don't believe daxiq is. I could be wrong. But it may be SDR bridge, a non client GUI, can instantiate a daxiq so one would not need ssdr running in conjunction with Maestro. Although I have always started daxiq1 via ssdr. I never tried it with out starting it first via ssdr.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Another option would be to connect the paddle and FlexControl  to the laptop and run SSDR, CW Skimmer and any other logger, etc.    For CW OPs this might be a simpler setup and only 1 device to carry. 

Steve H said paddle support for a laptop was coming ..... see this thread.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_is_cw_via_a_paddle_in_scope_for_the_remote_e...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    Win10

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Neither is directly attached to the GUI. Think of the radio as a server and DAX as audio clients. The GUI is only used to select frequency. Of the audio clients.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Neither is directly attached to the GUI. Think of the radio as a server and DAX as audio clients. The GUI is only used to select frequency. Of the audio clients.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Select Frequency and slice specific dax channel. Where a std dax is unique to a slice and the slice is unique to a pan.... On the other hand daxiq is not unique to a slice and is instantiated by the radio so, so long as your app, can instantiate a radio object it can create a DAXIQ channel, which is what cw skimmer ultimately uses.
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited April 2019
    Al, the whole point of my question is that I want to be running the Maestro - not SSDR. Paul
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You do not run SSDR when you are running Maestro.  DAX and CAT run as independent clients on the same PC with Skimmer and N1MM+.  They talk directly to the radio, which is the server.  Maestro talks independently to the radio server as well.  The radio is a server and everything else is a client.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it would be nice and better to just use Maestro and have a CW Skimmer display on the screen. But it looks like you will have to carry a laptop and Maestro if you want CWS.  (or just use a laptop, which was just another option to consider).  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    Win10

• Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks, Gerald!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Al: I tried to run SSDR and SDRBridge AND CWSkimmer on a 15" laptop and the results were embarrassing. You need ALOT of real estate for CW Skimmer and SSDR. A 15" monitor was too small, an 8" one would be impossible.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Walt, That's a very good point. And Perhaps why a large screen laptop running SSDR and those other programs could be a better choice for a CW op that also want CWS. Of course the paddle on a laptop enhancement would be needed. The Maestro screen is probably not large enough for CWS to coexist even if they decided to implement it. This is not to say Maestro wont be a good CW machine .....just not right for also running the other supporting programs. ( CWS, loggers, etc) Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Maestro is intended to be a GUI control surface for the 6000 series. It does not have the internal horsepower to run loggers, CWSkimmer, etc. You need an external PC. To run those.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I question that Al. If for no other reason than network latency. But, until people get actual operating experience using Maestro, any comments would be pure speculation.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Agree Walt,  that is why I used  "could"  and  "perhaps."    

A lot will depend on how the OP would like to operate CW remote as well as the limitations of the hardware and network performance.    Most of the time I just run 2 slices on 1 panadapter and CWS using a mixture of CWX and paddle keying.    But that's just me, YMMV.

Time will tell.....and in the mean time the hardware and network speeds  keep getting faster.   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    Win10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.