Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

can i get a recommendation for a wifi router that works easily with my flex 6300?

my netgear wifi router does not work for remote control of my flex6300.  I am looking for a router that someone has working correctly.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Not sure your router is to blame, but I can say I've had good results with Apple's AirPort line.
  • Stephen Stuntz
    edited December 2016
    I am not sure the router is to blame either.  my desktop windows 10 computer is connected by lan cable to the flex and works fb.  I just cannot see the flex on my laptop computer nor the ipad.   Dudley suggested the udp broadcast might be disabled.  I wish I could run some sort of test to find the problem!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If the Flex is directly connected to the PC, that explains a lot - you're in link local mode and will not be able to see the rig anywhere else.
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Stephen, I'll follow-up what George said by reminding you that the Flex does not have built-in wifi, that you connect your Flex directly to your wireless router, and then check all your connections. 

73, Gary

• Stephen Stuntz
    edited March 2017
    thanks a lot for the explanations.  i guess i don’t understand how routers work!  if i understand correctly, i need to connect the flex directly into a router in order to use more that one computer to access it.  since my existing router is in a different room 60 feet away, i’ll need to buy a separate wifi router toplug directly into the flex.  i won’t need to connect the flex 6300 router to the internet to use the remote iPad around the house.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Or use a 60' Ethernet cable to connect to your router.  Or you can use a wireless bridge, but connecting the radio to your network wirelessly will not provide the performance that can be achieved with a wired connection.
  • Stephen Stuntz
    edited December 2016
    thanks to all for suggestions.  I just tried connecting the flex-6300 to an old Motorola router/wifi and was able to connect to the flex with two computers and an ipad.  works great!  I noticed some loss of performance but expect that I can improve performance with further adjustments.  
  • Tim KE4UK
    Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I am using a Netgear router on my 6300 wireless and it works fine, it is the r6400, AC1750. I had the same problem and I found that I had to give permission for network sharing in order for the laptop to see the flex. After I did that it worked fine.

• Morty
    Morty Member
    edited December 2016
    I use the R6400 wireless router and have great performance while wandering around my home. I have constructed a rather complex home network and the router is connect internal on the network. There is a server between my home network and the Internet and all internal net speeds (except wirelees) are setup at 1Gbt speeds. I use a laptop to go mobile around the house. This setup really works well for me. Thx to the brains at FR..
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I am using a very inexpensive Cisco WRT-54G.   It works flawlessly and the range is exceptional.  I live in a community that has several other routers in operation, but the 54G just keeps chugging along and doesn't seem to be bothered by much of anything  The other day I had my Maestro in the back yard and used it while tuning up the Inverted-L I just put up.  I was able to use the Maestro from the base of the antenna with the Maestro sitting on the ground.  This was about 60 feet from the router.  It never missed a beat.

The WRT-54G is an old router.  I love them and pick them up at Goodwill.  I paid $1.99 the the last one I picked up.  I reflash them and run Tomato software.  I also load an Ad filter to the routers which sends add requests to a local non-routable ip.  This really ruduces the ads seen on browsers that are behind the routers firewall.

If you get a 54G that is v1, 2 or 3, then it will have enough memory that you will even be able to run the VPN within the router.  It isn't as easy as some of the newer routers to configure the VPN, but it is doable. 

You can spend a few hundred on a new wireless router and it might work for you and it might not.  Some folks have reported a lot of issues with some of the newer routers.  For me, I'll stick with the 54G.  I have 4 or 5 of them around here.  I reflash them and load the present configuration on all of them.  That way if I ever have one go bad, all I have to do is swap it out with one of the spares and I'm back in business.  I also use one in my camper.  I can use the Flex while camping.  I have the Flex inside and the Maestro outside at my operating table or pick nick table.  Works great.

Good Luck!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.