Can I find the MAC addresses for a remoted 6400?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
I have a 6400 remoted on a near by mountain top, I am using Smart SDR 2.4.9, when I open Radio Setup/ Network it shows the IP for the remote Lynksys router/modem as I expect but no MAC which I assume is due to the radio being port forwarded. IS there a way to retrieve the radios MAC  with out running up the mountain?  Thanks
Photo of Steve Blankinship AG4SO

Steve Blankinship AG4SO

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of W9HH - Steve

W9HH - Steve

• 13 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
If I understand your situation correctly, and you are able to open the radio setup remotely, the MAC should be displayed in the network section on the network tab. -otherwise from a command line on your computer, ping the IP address of the radio... then run the command "ARP -a" without the quotes. you should see the MAC displayed. On my setup I use a static address to keep the IP from changing without me knowing about it. 

Also there is a very useful free tool that I use to scan my local network that provides IPs and MACs for all the devices on my network. Search google for "SoftPerfect Network Scanner"

Hope this helps - Good luck!
-Steve W9HH

Steve Blankinship AG4SO

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the advice Steve The MAC does not show up on the Network tab, the IP showing is the distant end modem/router which makes sense as the radio is @ 30 miles away.

Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 680 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes

Steve Blankinship AG4SO

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Steve Blankinship AG4SO

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Using Smart SDR 2.4.9 I also do not see the advanced tab.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 680 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes

Steve Blankinship AG4SO

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Here is mine Chhris
Photo of Michael Wolff

Michael Wolff

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Steve,

MAC addresses are, with very few special cases, only shared between network elements in an Ethernet broadcast domain. It may be possible, if you have a login on the remote router / switch / appliance to which the radio is locally / directly connected, to be able to get that device to tell you the MAC address associated with the local IP address assigned to the Flex network interface. Shoot me a note at kg4y@arrl.net to follow up.

Mike - KG4Y
Photo of Peter Woodmansee WB6POT

Peter Woodmansee WB6POT

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
When you launch SmartSDR but before connecting to the radio, you can hover your mouse over the radio and you will see the RADIO ID: displayed which is the MAC address of your radio.

Peter - WB6POT

Steve Blankinship AG4SO

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Peter that worked thanks to all who helped.
Steve AG4SO