Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can hear radio but no panadapter window

Rick, N9AJ
Rick, N9AJ Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
6500  V2.6.1 Windows10 (64) home with current updates. .  started ssdr.  hear radio thru computer speakers but no SDR window on computer screen.  taskbar SDR, DAX, CAT icons all there. DAX and CAT windows come up and look normal when icons clicked.  Holding cursor over SDR icon shows mini blank SDR window. and no window opens on computer monitor when clicked.  all worked fine when i shut down last evening.  Shut down flex, disconnected power, rebooted computer and tried restart of all.  same problem. No idea what to do ....  maybe complete uninstall/reinstall V2.6.1 ??  Thanks in advance for any help. Rick, N9AJ, Orlando

Comments

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Can you start up the program if you go to the Flex install folder and left-click the executable "SmartSDR.exe"?  Usually that's under program files > SmartSDR v2.6.1 folder. If that starts the program, you can right click on the executable and then make a new SmartSDR shortcut icon.
  • Rick, N9AJ
    Rick, N9AJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion Doug..  SDR started but same 'no window' situation as starting via the original desktop shortcut.  I'm re-establishing my station after having to do a win10 reinstall last week becuz w10 went haywire.  Got SDR working fine..  then wsjt-x working..  but installing when getting pstrotatorAZ back up I had a similar situation happen.  the pstrAZ window was there... then  after re-starting it wasn't.. even though task manager said it was running.  Codrut Buda, the pstrotatorAZ man, directed me to delete the pstRotatorAZ 'FormPosition' key in my registry... and reboot.   restarted pstrAZ and the pst window (or 'form') came back.  I''m not a computer person,,, but i did take a cursory look at the regedit ,, looking for something obvious, like 'SDR form position'... but.. didn't see anything obvious..   But with the similarity of main windows disappearing,, it would seem that the two instances are somehow related..  Again.. thanks for the idea.  If you have any others,,, I'm all ears..  73,  Rick
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Richard,
      Uninstalling and reinstalling will likely not fix anything..  May I suggest one of these may get you going.. 
    1) reboot the PC is you have not already done so.. 
    2)  Navigate to %appdata%FlexRadio Systems and rename or remove the SSDR.setting file. 
    3)  Perform a 'factory reset' on your radio.

AL, K0VM

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Richard, 

Al's comments are very good.  After you try his suggestions and if the SmartSDR screen doesn't show up, one thing that could make this happen is if the SmartSDR app were being used on a second monitor and that monitor was no longer attached to your system.  In that case, as you say, you can hear the radio, but not see the controlling program.

• Rick, N9AJ
    Rick, N9AJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks a bunch AL,,, your procedure worked.  No idea what I did to cause this to happen but i've written down your steps and will keep them taped to the radio.  With the g'ment telling us to stay home cuz of this chinese virus, i was afraid i'd be stationless. HIHI

thanks again ..  73,,  N9AJ  Rick
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Richard,

As Doug asked,   do you have a second monitor?   I suspect that this is a Windows display issue,  maybe the window view is off screen somewhere,   go to the bottom task bar,   do a right click in unused Task Bar space and enable (check)  "Show Task View Button" ,  that is the little film **** looking icon on your task bar at the bottom.   When you "left"  click that little icon,  this will show you all your active windows ,  you should be able to click on the SmartSDR view and have it appear in your main screen.  

Maybe this will get you where you can view the actual window ..

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • Rick, N9AJ
    Rick, N9AJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Doug  ... Many, many thanks for you help.  I actually do have 2 monitors working at the station.  and,  although monitor #2 was up and running,, and didn't show SDR window either,, I am definitely making a note of your 2nd monitor comments.  As you can see above, AL's procedure worked.. but again.. I really appreciate you jumping in with your expertise too.  Have had ticket for 50 years and love my Flex..  but... i have only the slimmest understanding of it and computers... so... guys like you and AL,,, and Tim others at Flex HQ really are life savers..  Take care, 73,  N9AJ,  Rick

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.