Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can FRS let us know if June is spelled J U L Y?

Answers

• Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I'm in the sticks, and have a ATT WIFI sitting on the window sill. It's that or satellite (tried it, no thanks).  My computer connects to it via its built in wireless card, 6500 connected to the computer via Ethernet cable. 

From what I've read (and I know zip about WAN/LAN/VPN/remote), I'm not very confidant SmartLink will do me any good. My interest in operating remote is also pretty low at this point in time, so maybe a moot point.

What I am interested in is "2.0 is more than just WAN". Depending on what "more" is will determine if I upgrade or not.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ria, understood. Not thinking of a 'trial' version so much as an error message that translates to "connection established, radio not authorized" to give the potential upgradera degree of confidence before purchase. I seem to recall that the SmartSDR 2.X software will be a free download, much like SmartSDR 1.X, but will only function if the radio you attempt to connect to is authorized for SmartSDR 2.0. Thinking it through, the question really seems to boil down to this: Will a customer considering the upgrade be able to: A) download and install free SmartSDR 2.X client B) establish an account on the SmartSDR 'in-between' service and point it at their home station C) have the client attempt to access the specified radio D) get an error message that means 'connection to radio established, radio not authorized for SmartSDR 2.0' I suspect the 'in-between service' would block the attempt and not try to establish the connection because it knows the radio is not authorized, but it might need to 'ping' the radio to confirm the radio is licensed for SmartSDR 2.0, and if that's the case, that's what I'm asking.
  • James Whiteway
    edited June 2020
    The developers are not reading these posts.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I would say that is not correct. At the same time, I don't think complaining constantly by anyone will cause software to be released sooner.
  • James Whiteway
    edited June 2017
    Ok, maybe not all the time. But, certainly not to the point that any of the negative posts or even the  positive posts, are keeping them away from their job.

• David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    They have never had a release that was bug free... There is always something...!!!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thank you for the feedback Mack Many thanks to the FRS staff and the tireless Alpha team. The efforts to bring a great advance in a good quality control passed package is appreciated. I think we all know that a wider release will complete the "stress testing" and glad the team is onboard to tweak things as needed. This release might be a good time to try a "best practices" PDF like the FAQ to capture what works good-better-best and what things give v2.0 any heartburn with what sorts it out. Something quicker and dynamiclybupdated like the FAQs. Again thank you and 73, Steve K9ZW
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Just as a reminder, and to head off an already anticipated wave of "Why wasn't THIS FUNCTION added/enhanced in V.2.0? .... (as neat as the initial release is going to be, there will be some folks who will not be able to resist the expectation that the INITIAL release of V.2.0 should be the ultimate fulfillment of every amateur's fantasy.) Let us remember that following the initial release, with the main features of WAN Remote, and all of the supporting bits that make it possible...there will undoubtedly be a series of point releases - 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.X, etc in the series. Flex has given us no idea as to what may be in those additional releases, or how many there may be. But based upon past rexperience, my guess is that there will be several before they move on to the next paid upgrade of V.3.0. I would hope that we will be spared the endless repetition of "Pre-Holiday stress venting" before each one. (I.e. When the kids begin acting out before Christmas or other major holidays in anticipation of expected holiday goodies.) It was cute and almost amusing to observe when my son was two years old, but is simply annoying now that he is ten years. It is even more unpleasant when I observe it from fully grown intelligent radio amateurs, repeated every few months during the few weeks leading up to a new software update. (Honest questions and positive suggestions are welcome...rankor and accusations are unnecessary and unhelpful.) My advise is for everyone to just chill a while longer, snuggled up in our beds with visions of sugarplums dancing in our heads, and await the arrival of the new software sometime in the middle of the night - Perhaps it will be Christmas in June. Ken - NM9P
  • Michael Starkey
    edited June 2017

My buying rule is simple: if V2.00 does not encompass what should have rightly been in v1.00000 then I won't buy until it does.

I wont be buying it for the cherry on the cake stuff like remote connect, I will be buying when the radio does what every other good radio can already do.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    ... believe me, FRS will not smashup if  any not buy  V2.0 :-)
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Michael - I'm looking for a fixed V1.0, which some think will b V2.0.. I have my doubts.  I dont care about remote operation, I want working V1 features... Give me stable software, a working dax, and working noise filters.
  • KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited June 2020
    All of these comments about making it perfect and bug free are ridiculous. When in the history of any software for any kind of platform been 100% bug free? I would rather have buggy software than no software. Just release the v2 and let the community start identifying the problems.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    It's not a matter of releasing it 100% bug free.  That's impossible.  It's a matter of releasing it when it's ready to be released.   The Alpha community is the group that tests the initial releases.  These folks have the technical knowledge to validate actual defects and document the exact conditions under which they occur.  You won't find that happening in the general Flex community.

The gestation period for a human being is nine months.  I wonder how many folks would rush that just to see the end result a little earlier.
  • KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited June 2017
    Well if the gestation period had anything to do with it we would have had two sets of kids by now and be well on the way to a third child. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
     Just release the v2 and let the community start identifying the problems.
    That's not really the community's job. The alpha team are the ones identifying the issues, in a manner that doesn't seem like needless complaining and with a manageable group that won't clog up the tech support lines, nor create a PR disaster for Flex. Can you imagine the ads from competitors? I cringe at that thought. Icom is already claiming that they are "first" with SDR technology but they word it in such a way that it's sorta true - that they are the first major manufacturer with SDR technology. Imagine if 2.0 SmartLink crashes everyone's radio, what will they say? What will the potential user base say? 
    With regard to 2.0, I suspect that at this point, the software could be released any day now. It's not yet the end of June. Give them some time.

Ria
  • KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited June 2017
    With all due respect, I have given them enough dang time. I paid for the software two years ago and the hardware with the promise I would have the updated software within six months. We even amended our purchase of hardware to include the Maestro. Perhaps, it may seem foolish to you and others that we purchased something that did not exist. However, working with grants we often have to think way outside the box to get a result since it is a multi-year process.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ria - "Thats not the communities job" -- some of such sure feel like we are pre-alpha testing given the rig crashes and dax corruption in V1.

• N5LB - Lionel
    N5LB - Lionel Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm waiting, sort of like Christmas, it will get here eventually.  In the meantime my 6300 and latest SSDR does great.  

I don't have time to grumble with a zillion other things on the plate, I'd rather operate than grumble. 
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Sometimes the best things in life often take a while to come to fruition. One has to be willing to pass up immediate gratification for a solution that provides a long-term gain.  We may not get what we want as soon as we would like it, but in the long run, we get something better because we had the patience to wait.

I am sure Flex isn't holding up the release of V2 just to tease their customer base.  It's to their advantage to release it as soon as it's ready to be released.  I, for one, can wait for a good, solid release.  In the meantime, I will be making contacts with some of the most advanced hardware and software available to amateur radio.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    There are "bugs" and there are "BUGS."  The little ones are annoying.  
    The larger ones can cause a major foul-up.

I am sure that if it was released with BUGS simply to meet an arbitrary deadline that the resulting furor would be heard coast to coast without benefit of radio or internet.

The alpha team is at work making sure that there are no large BUGS.  
    But even after that there are sure to remain a few small bugs and desired performance enhancements to deal with..  

So there will be plenty for the general Flex Community to encounter once the heavy lifting is finished and the software is released.

Ken - NM9P
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Would you under any circumstances use a days old program to run your Field Day?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    First there's the "Are we there yet? threads, then there's the "Download isn't working"threads, then there is the "I'm so disappointed I'm going to jump off a bridge!" threads, then there is the "I had to pay for this?" Threads, then there is all of the other sub threads. I'll buy it when it's ready, and then not check the group for a month.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    They have to act like adults as well.
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Yes, its a hobby and doesn't impact work productivity---:)

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Not a chance at our FD, wouldn't look at it if available.  
    There are enough unexpected problems like burning out a triplexer 40M port at 3AM in a remote field AND a UPS that doesn't like the power generators output waveform thereby discharging the battery with total power loss - two times.
  • David Livingston
    edited June 2017
    Since the new radios are to be released with V2.**** they really need to have it right. If they don't ... They will have real issues with all Flex customers. Old and New...!!!

• David Livingston
    edited June 2017
    Just a little late on release...
  • David Livingston
    edited June 2017
    I could care less about a new look and new features.  Please fix all the OLD PROBLEMS....
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The new models ship in September, this is June. Just sayin'

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.