Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can FRS let us know if June is spelled J U L Y?

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Rather than the huge number of "are we there yet" posts that happen when we get close to a new release of SmartSDR, could FRS lift the curtains enough for the Great Oz to tell us if June needs to become July for version 2.0?

The benefit for me is I know the hams who I help with their Flex-6000s want to upgrade, and I'm hoping to schedule time to help them appropriately.

The benefit for FRS is if the date needs to be extended we get the grumble done with quickly, and without several posts a day asking "is it now?"

Thanks and 73

Steve K9ZW

Answers

• KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited February 2019
    It better not become another month. Their own printed literature says it is "Available now!"
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It's the 23rd, there's still about 1/4th of the month left - have a little faith!
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Maybe its June of 2018. I was told "by end of first quarter" when i bought my rig in late Nov 2016. Then it became June. But, one thing is for sure, we wont have it for Field Day.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    To entertain myself awaiting the release and to keep from biting my tongue, I'm counting how many new threads will be created asking the same basic question. "Are we there yet?" and how many times Tim is going so basically say "rather than meeting a date deadline, it will be released when it is ready". I think we are safe to say it will be much sooner, than much later.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

By my accounts of other threads, it is much later.

Jim, K6QE

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Suffice it to say, if v2.0 is not available yet, there's still has bugs and/or new features being worked out.  Let it be.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    In the past every major update has been released with very few if any major problems. This was the result of waiting to release it until it was right. I'm sure the announcement will come as soon as it's ready for primetime. I'd rather wait than have a buggy release
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When my kids were little, like most parents, I always heard, "Are we there yet?" multiple times.  I would always answer no, we have several hours left before we're even close.  That provided a longer duration the between "Are we there yet?" questions.  

When we did arrive it was a pleasant surprise.

• Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    With Flex always ask what year!
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I dug up a pair of Red shoes today in Kansas. Plan to clean them up and see if I can squeeze into them. I figure 2 taps should do the trick to get 2.0!
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No forward looking comments are allowed nor will be tolerated

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have to agree with Mack.  We (the Alpha team) are pounding away on it.  Since I do  a lot of remote operate (almost 100%), it does work.  Those at Dayton saw it when then used any of our stations on the Maestros, mine included.  It was just  like being there.  

You'll love it when it comes out.  Then, the bandwidth tuning will start for everyone.  :)

Mike va3mw
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I am perfectly fine with a release date anytime this summer. I'd much rather have it bulletproof, than rushing it out the door just to meet some artificial date. Let's be patient, ppl!

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I highly doubt that.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Mark,

My comment may not have sounded like it, but I am solidly on the side of waiting until it's ready.  I don't think I've even discovered all to the tricks on the current release, so there's no need to rush the next one, at least from my perspective.

I have suffered through enough premature market-driven releases of Windows to even consider having that kind of experience with the Flex software.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    1.* has been plagued by dax rcv corruption issues as well as xmit corruption.
    1.10.16 has had a lengthy thread about its crashes..

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Without getting too specific, 2.0/SmartLink is at a very advanced stage of development, and isn't just a concept or early prototype. It's also up to flex to decide their release dates but I don't see it being very long from now. I have also been testing smartlink on windows, maestro and iOS and the dev team has been hard at work polishing up the final product. The alpha team has also provided very valuable feedback, both directly and letting the dev team directly observe how our radios function. So they have a very good idea of how to get things done.

Trust me when I say it will be worth the wait.
  • Paul M
    Paul M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    My wife always told the kids "In about and hour."  
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited June 2017
    but when those children are now in their 50s 60s they expect to be treated like ADULTS!
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I would think that with 2.0/SmartLink the ability to connect directly to your radio from Houston helps eliminate the verbal miscommunication that sometimes happens when trying to describe the problem.  I suspect this capability also helps speed up the troubleshooting process and resolution.  Thank you Ria, and all the Alpha Team, for your testing efforts.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The Magic Ruby Slippers was in the movie version. In the original story in the books, they were Silver. If you trust Hollywood, the real magic doesn't work. (;>p)
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    You're right, I clicked my heels until it hurt. No 2.0! Now my feet hurt.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Keep your slippers on. It is being heavily tested by the Alpha testers to make sure it will be ready to release. The last thing they want to do is release it with hidden bugs and **** traps!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Well, it's not that. We still do have to tell them what the issue was and describe steps to get there. However in developing smartlink they had to look at how our radios connected to the internet to get real world data. In the lab you have controlled conditions. In the real world not so much. You have firewalls and such in the real world. So from that standpoint they can see what is needed for a seamless experience.

Plus for any radio, not just alpha testers, I believe they can request that you remotely let them in to field check things.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ria
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    As Ria says, there is so much more than just writing the application.  While the SmartLink application works well, there is so many things different in how the connections   

Here is how it works.  The developer writes the application and from what he can tell, it is done and works.  Then we get the real world involved with all the 'non-standard' internet stuff (there is no standard) and we find ways that it doesn't work.  It is almost like every internet connection is unique.  High speed networks, low speed, fibre, DSL latency, dropped connections, partially dropped connections.  All these need code to handle error management.  

If you are writing code for everyone to use, almost 25-35% of the lines of code are related to error management.   If you have ever written even the most basic application, you know what I mean if you are giving it to someone else to use.  They will break it on the first attempt.  :)

I have worked for years in the software support industry and have lived this first hand.  If your code doesn't work, the phone will ring off the hook and all you will have is **** off users and lost customers.

They are close.  

73 all, de va3mw
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Stop badgering the developers! Your constant nagging will produce nothing but more frustration.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    i was wondering, since the 2.0 upgrade is being sold at a not insignificant cost, and it supports a very popular function (remote wan control), and, as noted above involves the "non-standard internet stuff" will a potential SmartSDR 2.0 upgrade customer be able to install the SmartSDR software and confirm their internet connection supports SmartLink functionality before they purchase the upgrade?

I understand the software isn't licensed, the radio is - but what I am asking is if a potential upgrade customer will have the ability to confirm that the software is compatible with their "non-standard internet stuff" before purchase?

Thanks.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Tim has said that they don't intend to offer a trial period, and 2.0 is more than just WAN. So I'm guessing, no.

Some connections that may not work at all or may not work well:
    Double NAT (carrier grade NAT)
    Routers where UPnP is disabled/blocked
    ISPs that extensively filter inbound connections
    High latency connections
    Very low bandwidth connections (basic slow DSL, for example)
    Some mobile wireless connections

Other than that it seems to work with most home ISPs. 

Ria

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.