Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can anyone suggest a "quiet" solid state power supply what doesn't have any rf hash for use with a f

Looking for a quiet ss power supply thats not a noise generator.  These flex radios are showing me all the noise I have had but no longer able to ignore.  Somethings seen can not be unseen  Btw I am looking for a solid state instead of a linear power supply for portability.  I know one can't beat a linear ps for quietness

Thanks Lawrence

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    By their very design all switching power supplies generate RF noise. Some of the better ones allow you to tune the switching frequency so that the noise is outside the ham bands. I can't recommend specific models as I long ago changed out all my switching supplies for linear ones
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am having good luck with the Alinco Dm330. So far I have not been able to detect any hash or PS generated carriers except for way below the AM Broadcast band. As I begin applying Howard's techniques for quieting the station even further, and the power company continues its work, I am considering moving to an AGM battery and supply isolator. Detected noise will help make that final determination.
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    +1 on the Alinco.

I used to use an Astron SS-35, but it started generating noise, so I shelved it.

Jim
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    a battery is a great choice for that scenario (when portable)
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Flex radio sells the Astron ss-25 so they should be able to comment on it. I have been told that it runs quiet only switching the fan on when needed. RF wise it is supposed to be "clean".
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Pretty good results with the Astron supplies. I did sand off the paint at metal to metal points to make them better shielded. Same at grounding lugs inside.

PS - I did ultimately go linear, but more as a response to my neurotic obsession with every last dB of noise. The Astron 35A Switcher was just fine.

I blame Howard for my toroid and grounding therapy. <g>
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'm using a 32amp Alinco. It appears to be very quiet, rf and sound. It has a handy 13.8 volt . So far I've not seen a birdie that I can blame on the PS.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    If you do as George describes and re-tighten all the screws inside the chassis every few years, the Astron SS supplies are fairly quiet.   However, I do only use linear supplies in my shack.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I bought an MFJ-4230MVP 30A switching for the FLEX 6300 a year ago. It is NOT made by MFJ but they relabel and carry it. Liked it so much I bought 2 more for other rigs. -Dave
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I heartily recommend the Alinco DM-330 series. I have, with the oldest being over 10 years old. No RF hash detectable. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also recommend the Alinco DM-330, my particular one here is the DM-330FX, It has a noise offset adjustment just in case but I have not had to use it. 
    73's
    Bret, WX7Y

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I have 3 samlex 1223's running in my shack very quiet
  • Barry-W4TGA
    Barry-W4TGA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I want to also strongly recommend the Alinco DM-330MV.  I have used them for years and they have become my first choice for home and away.
    Barry - W4TGA
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks all.  i will look at the Alinco.  

• kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Use Astron SS-50 for each rig. Always have placed RF choke on power lead just as the cables leave the power supply. Powerful and lightweight. use it for equipment making sensitive noise measurements.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Also use a DM-330-MV which created significant noise at 80M and below, however

Open it up and do as George suggested.  Grounding the chassis (small external binding ****) made a significant difference.  Also use it to charge/maintain a battery that runs the 6700.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Looks like a lot of us have batteries running our rigs. With something like a PWRGate in line, it's nice peace of mind when running remote and does help with noise.
  • K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I also highly recommend the Alinco DM330MV.  It has a knob to "tune out" any birdies, but I've watched the waterfall and panadapter, and don't see any birdies at all while cranking that knob.  I *DO* have some regular birdies that come from my CABLE INTERNET CONNECTION.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.