Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can anyone identify these interfering signals on 10 Meters?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I observed these alternating signals on 10 Meters this morning (10/3/2014) at about 1300Z
#2 sounded for about 5 seconds and was answered by # 1 for about three seconds.
This back-and-forth repeated for at least 15 minutes while I was getting screen shots of it.
It stopped for about 10 seconds and I thought it was done, but started up again.
It is about 75 Khz wide.

It looks like some kind of wide band digital file transfer.
It experienced fading consistent with morning HF propagation so I don't think it is local.

Any takers?

Ken - NM9P

Answers

• Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Frequencies?
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Sound files would help too!
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Ken:

Can you post the screen shots?

Reg

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Doh!  I forgot to post them.....Let me see if this works...Sorry, I Don't have sound files.
    imageimage
  • Jim    W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member
    edited October 2014
    I am seeing the identical signal: same frequency. Peaking a -110 dbm in Alabama on a 20m simple dipole.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The two solid traces/spikes that bracket the pictures are local RFI. The rest is the signal in question. It is very curious. At first I thought it was my Uverse internet router or TP-Link gigabyte switch, but now am sure that it is "out there!"
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It is  an Over the Horizon Radar believed to be from Iran.  Its been reported by the folks in IARU Region 1 and has been confirmed heard in the US and in South America.

Stu K6TU

PS: I'm an Intruder Watch volunteer and the note re this signal was in my email this am.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    They are still on at 15:11Z
    One signal extends from about 28.570 to 28:630 with spurs out to 28.660
    The shorter, responding tone is wider, extending from about 28.540 to 28.660 with lighter spurs detectable from 28.525 to 28.700

Maximum signal strengths on my 160 Offset Fed Dipole at 38 ft have reached as high as -92 dBm.

Can anyone with a steerable antenna get a fix?

Ken - NM9P
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I see the same in NC.  S6 on peaks
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Stu, while you are at it, please report an idiot CBer on 27.025who calls himself the "Number 7 on the Westside"  He was literally 3 MHz wide!  I found him while trying to scan for a station putting a very distorted and unintelligible signal about 21.204 who was about 10 KHz wide.  I thought it might be harmonics or inverted spurs from a station on 10 meters.  Then I found this guy!  The widest signal I have ever seen on CB.  I wouldn't care much what happens down there, except his spurs are even getting into the 10 Meter band!  He is apparently winning a bandwidth war with the "Swampdog" who is about 100KHz wide.  
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Best thing is to call the OOC (Official Observer Coordinator) for your ARRL section - their name and contact information should be in QST.

They can gather information and make sure that (eventually) the FCC will get in the loop - it will have to be a persistent offender to get actioned but if it is, it will be!

Stu K6TU
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well, nice to know there's prop to Iran. Now we need some operators there. Especially ones who LoTW QSL!
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Listening the same signals on 10m with s5-s9, on 12m with s5-s9
    on 17m with s4-s9 Can just confirmed that this is signal from over horizon system
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    any old timers remember 'The Woodpecker'?  I even heard it once on the am bcb !!

73, w5xz, dan

• Jim    W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member
    edited October 2014
    Here is a link to the signals monitored by the IARU:

http://www.iarums-r1.org/iarums/latest.pdf
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Another good one on 10m. That band gets so much "attention" from interlopers, eh?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's why my IC-745 (ca. 1985) had a two-position noise blanker and why I modified the noise blanker on my TS-850 (ca. 1993) , which had two positions that didn't work until modified.  it was brutal!  But at least it was a constant tempo and width, so it could be blanked.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.