baz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
If you go to the Flexradio website for the 6300, there is a tab labeled "Compare" click it and the differences between the 6300, 6500 and 6700 are shown.

http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/flex-6300/ 
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Well, while that comparison details the differences, only you can assess the relative benefit.
How important is 4 vfos?
How important is better filtering? The 6500 has preselectors, which act, roughly, like roofing filters.
How important is roughly $2000 which could be saved, spent on a better antenna, better cabling, a Maestro?

Again, only you can assess the benefits accrue to your situation.
(Edited)
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1652 Posts
  • 600 Reply Likes
The commenters above are quite right. To their comments, I add one thing -- once you discover the abilities of a real SDR radio, you will also discover new ways to enjoy your radio hobby. Each of the 6000 Series rigs are quite good purchases; you will likely be very happy with yours.

My experience with buying a 6500 was that it opened more opportunities to explore ham radio than I had originally thought. I bought it thinking about good CW filtering and QSK. I never knew I would find the rig so useful for digital modes, weak signal, and VHF/UHF (using transverters). 

That said, buy one step more radio than you think you'll need, if you can. There are days that I kick myself for not getting a 6700. Not enough that I am willing to pay the extra cost most days, but if I had swallowed hard at the front end, I think I would have been okay with it, and the only kicking would come from my wife, who would not be happy that vacation was cancelled ;-)
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Big grin about the potential cancelled vacation as I sit here at our beach side cottage in Grenada listening to the ocean waves crashing and the coqui frogs chirping away.  
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Not to mention the dozens of potentially zika bearing mosquito bites that are evident after a week here.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 901 Posts
  • 186 Reply Likes
Official Response
6300 Vs 6500:
From the spec sheets

Rcv sampling ADC is 2x faster on 6500.
     This should translate to reduced noise due to more samples
     being averaged. Sqrt N where N is 2 in this case so that's 1.414.
     I am not 100% sure on that as it is dependent on the implementation.

Rcv preamp / Atten
   6500 has -10 dB attenuator
   6300 has preamp only (or no pre-amp)

Image reject
   20 dB better on the 6500

BandPass Filters
  Filters for the amateur bands in 6500. If a slice is tuned out of band, these are turned off.

Tx DAC
  4x faster on 6500!
  Not sure what that buys one but the difference is to significant to ignore.
  Harmonics in 6500 are 10 dB better suppressed but both are excellent.

Master Clock Phase Noise
  7dB quieter on the 6500. Xmt / Rcv signals cleaner / less noise.

Both have internal TCXO but the 6500 is upgradeable to internal GPS.

I went with the 6500 due to the image rejection and bandpass filters. With the current antenna setup the BPFs didn't seem to be required. Someday the antenna will be improved.

Four slices are handy if you want to monitor some digital modes while listening to another band and also checking 10 or 15 meters for openings, for example. I've left the 4 slices listening to PSK and JT65 modes on several bands and "the radio" achieves DxCC in about a week, as it were.

In looking at the specs sheets closely, it's really jaw dropping performance from either but especially the 6500.

Hope this is helpful.

With Regards,

Tim / k3Tim