Calibration Timeout Error

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago

Trying to assist a fellow ham whose 6500 is experiencing the Calibration Timeout error. Any reference in the community suggests its due to a component failure. So once a radio is out of warranty, the owner, if capable, should be able to repair it themselves. Why won’t FRS just say what component fails? Between the down time and the shipping cost, it can be a real PIA. Any info?

Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 475 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 531 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
Probably because they will need to bring it back into the shop to know what is a fault! When I was hit by lightning, my 6700 would boot and time out in the calibration section (but it would give a very cryptic message on the display after a while and show error.

After sending it back to Flex (they looked at it for 3-4 weeks) it ultimately was concluded to be damaged to the point of unrepairable.

These technologies are not so easy to diagnose, especially by someone that didn't build it.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 475 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Neal, there are reports about this issue going back 2 years. In each case “a component was replaced”. It begs the question, where is the ECM for this issue? They are great about fixing it, but the cost of shipping alone hurts.
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 531 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
I have no idea what the issues were but if there was a simple component that was failing, I would believe someone on the community would know and broadcast it. I only worked at Flex for 4 months but I gained a deep appreciation of the complexity of the technology while there (as well as its complexity in  debugging it). The other thing to consider is that the alignment/reconfiguration process (in case you replaced something that was required to retain this info) requires Flex to perform.

I know the shipment costs can really get expensive but (at least with my familiarity from last year) their repair costs are damn reasonable so  it works out in the end. Plus, it has a warranty for the repair work!
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 475 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I’d agree with most of what you said. They do a fine job, at a reasonable cost.