Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

BUTTON needed to send call ID in cw mode while using phone

Options
WBB
WBB Member
edited October 2019 in New Ideas

While
using phone, any mode; am, fm, ssb, et al., it would be nice to press a button to set to send my call sign out as id, via cw, when I complete, or start my next audio cycle

In other words, when while I am use the phone modes and I realize its time it identify my station  (according to the FCC rules), I press the button to sets a sequence that:

1)    IF I am currently transmitting using phone, when I key up, the radio switches to cw and sends out my call sign, then switches back to phone mode I was using so I can listen to the stations, or …  

2)    IF I am listening to stations (I am not transmitting, but the radio is set in a phone mode)., when I next key up to transmit in phone mode, the radio first switches to CW mode, sends my call sign out, then switches back to phone mode so I can begin to talk.,

Optionally, this feature could do it automatically after a time lapse and indicates it is going to take place, or if it has send it out.

NICE….

OK, radio experts and nay-sayers, let me have it why this is not a great idea.

WBBayard, AK5WB

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I mentioned this the other day, It would be nice if it was implemented much like it works in PSDR
  • Justin Smith
    Justin Smith Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What a refreshingly good idea. Imagine having a radio that would automatically announce one’s call sign every 10 minutes. I could write this in python (as could many of us) but it would be so much easier if it were an intrinsic function of SmartSDR. Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019
    Options
    This is available on many different transceivers - except the Flex - has been in use for many years, it was certainly on the K3 nearly 10 years ago

When in SSB mode you can't simply key up the carrier at the indicated frequency because you will be "Zero Beat" and not heard by the other station.

The way to implement it is done in one of two ways:-

1   Is to have the CW keying generate an audio tone at the CW offset (sidetone) frequency this is then sent out in  SSB - the station receiving will hear the audio CW

2   Send as a basic cw carrier but auto offset it by the sidetone frequency.

Same result by both methods

Or just have a keyer with the side tone switched on and let it me heard by the microphone.

If you can't send CW or want it automated use a memory keyer

Phil G4UDU

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    In the thousands of SSB QSOs I have made, I don't believe more than half a dozen or so included the other party identifying in CW.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I agree about using phone and the ID in CW, not needed - but it is VERY useful to break on a SSB QSO when no-one will leave a gap or listen for another station - sadly the art of using VOX on phone modes seems very rare - that made it easy to call in

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.