Bugs That Bugs You the Most

• Problem
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • (Edited)
So nothing better to do than complaining and starting a new thread.
This is about bugs... (not about things working as intended i.e. profiles or remote side-tone).
Here is my top three bugs:

1. Spurious CW TX drop out!  WTF... This bites me every day, try call a DX in a pile-up and only realize you do not emit, or make a long "transmission" in a rag-chew. Makes me think evil thoughts.

2. AGC. Outright awful performance. Narrow filters and strong signals should not make you start to weep. My other SDR's are like music to my ears vs. Flex :(

3. Equalizer on slice B. Now having to "activate" the Eq by cylicling mode is a working work-around but why should I need doing this?

My top two are show-stoppers, really! Not sure I wouild be a "Flexer" if I known about them prior to commiting to Flex.
What is your top three bugs?
And keep the thread clean :) Wash your hands!!
/Lasse SM5GLC

Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 183 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 867 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes

Although not a Bug just a bad idea in my opinion, AutoSave is a so called feature added to SmartSDR when V3 came out.
They say it was added to lower tech support calls into flexradio because people did not know how to use profiles. I say why not just make some instructional videos and try to get people to just learn how to use profiles. After all a Flexradio is unlike any other radio most people have ever used before and should not expect it to operate like an an old traditional radio.

Some like Autosave that is why Adding an ON/OFF switch would make everyone happy!

To me that's like saying “Hey I don't know how to fly the space shuttle could you change it to drive like my Chevy because I don't want to learn how to operate it correctly.

:)
(Edited)
Photo of Mark K0JM

Mark K0JM

• 43 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I second this! Breaking the Profiles with AutoSave defeats the entire purpose of Profiles in the first place. An on/off switch would be a great solution.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 867 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes

Yeah seems pretty obvious!

Someone tried to say that AutoSave is like using a traditional radio in that it remembers where you leave your knobs set. However some versions of the 6000 series do not have knobs. Besides so many of the settings are hidden in sub menus and if it did have a knob and switch for every function of the radio you would need hundreds of them on the front panel.

Just adding an ON/OFF switch to autosave in SmartSDR would make everyone happy. If you like autosave leave the switch ON, If you don't like autosave leave the switch set to OFF.

Problem Solved!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4603 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
Question, what if someone turns auto save off then forgets to save a profile?  Would it not be better to have a box pop up to ask if you want the setting saved?
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 867 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes

I had  suggested something like that  a year ago.

My idea was just before you close SmartSDR or shutdown the radio it asks “Do you want to save session changes” YES Or NO? If YES changes are saved to current profiles, If NO changes are discarded.

But I thought a simple ON/OFF switch would be easier to program and would make more people happy.

Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 346 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
I agree. My switch would ALWAYS be turned off. As a result of auto save I am still on version 2, with $200 burning a hole in my pocket waiting for the auto save on/off switch to be implemented.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 867 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I will upgrade as soon as  they add the ON/OFF switch but until then I will stay on SmartSDR version 2.49 as it is the most stable overall at this time.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4603 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
I remember Eric saying as simple as the on/off switch sounds it would be very difficult to do, but he said that's their problem not ours.
Photo of David - KO1C

David - KO1C

• 31 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Amen!!! Please give us the option.
Photo of Bob Wright, N7ZO

Bob Wright, N7ZO

• 281 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I was not a heavy profile user, but when the profiles started changing on me unexpectedly, I quit using them entirely.  Too dangerous to my amps and untrustworthy in general.

If I don't know the results of a button push, why would I ever push it.
(Edited)
Photo of Russ Ravella

Russ Ravella

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Yup, profile instability is a very serious issue.  It's often been reported here.  I was hoping to see some progress in the last update but all they did was fix a different disaster they'd created in their LAST update.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1457 Posts
  • 549 Reply Likes
Well...

1) Spurious CW TX drop out - I've never had this happen.  My Flex6600 was on for more than 280 days without a single hiccup.  I op 90% CW and I've never seen anything.  I'd say this is a bug if it is happening to you.

But more details may be warranted.  Are you using the built in keyer?  Are you using CWX?  IE more info on how your system is configured would be helpful.

I do know that sometimes, rarely when using CWX I'll have some network issues cause CW transmission problems.  But that is usually the fault of the network.

2) AGC - Without more info your "bug report" is kind of useless.  I mean be more specific... What is the issue?   I was comparing the AGC on my Flex6600 to an ICOM 7610 that was loaned to me and I personally liked the AGC on the flex more.  It was more responsive than the Icom and I had way more control.

But really, a bug is something that doesn't work the way it was designed or intended.  It is not a bug if you simply don't like it.   So I'd like to know what the issue is.

3) Equalizer slice B - I have not tried to use this so I can't comment.  Some reproduce steps would help.

Mark WS7M
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 183 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Mark,
my bad. I should have posted links and defect numbers so you not think I am dreaming or not using the radio in a correct way.

1. Reply from Tim: "This is defect G7759 and it is currently being investigated by the software team.  At this time the workaround is to stop sending and allow the radio to transition to RX and then start resending." We (not just me) have had this issue for more than a year.
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6600m-transmitter-stops-intermittently-on-cw?topic-...

2. defect #4505 and I posted this 3 years ago....
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/agc-pop

3. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/audio-equalizer-on-rx-b-slice .
If you really want to test this, invoke the RX Eq and increase the audio. Then open slice B, and notice for the same volume setting, the actual volume is lower on B.  Now change mode and back again. Presto, the audio is matching that of slice A.

So whats your "favourite" bug?

/Lasse SM5GLC

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1457 Posts
  • 549 Reply Likes
Thanks for doing that!

My favorite bug... I'm gonna have to think about that because based on my operating modes and styles I haven't run into many...

But let me think today!
Photo of Paul G4AFU

Paul G4AFU

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Lasse, I though it was just me with TX dropout until I came back to this forum and realised others have the same problem. It is a #1 problem that needs fixing. The whole cw configuration in the Flex needs looking at and other have commented elsewhere. 
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 183 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Paul,  what I find iteresting is that some (like us two) suffer badly from this, others report that they never have noticed this.  Question remains what we do different to have this issue? This an aknowledged bug by Flex, so why do only part of us Flex users have this?
/Lasse SM5GLC
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4600 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
Has Flex said this is a bug with a tracking number? Do you know where they said that? I would like to read it to see their wording. Or i can just do a search for it..
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 183 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Bill,  this is a transscrip of what Flex Helpdesk replied to my report (and do read my reply to Mark, there's a forum link for further information):
"I have conferred with Engineering and the analysis of your HelpDesk support incident has concluded that the issue you reported is a probable software defect. I have transferred this issue to the Engineering/Software Development group and placed it in their bug tracker for further analysis.

This issue has been logged as defect number: G7759

At this time the only workaround is to stop sending and allow the radio to transition to RX and then start resending.

The primary purpose of a HelpDesk request is to allow our technical support engineers to assess and address your software, configuration or operational questions or issues. Since your issue has been initially classified to be a probable software defect, the responsibility for its disposition has been transferred from the HelpDesk / Support group to Engineering/Software Development. You may be contacted to provide additional information or assist with the determination of the issue's root cause or test a possible fix for this issue. Currently, there is not a date when this issue may be addressed."
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4600 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
Ok thanks,,that pretty much closes this up then,,will wait and see if and when they get to it.
Photo of Uwe - DK3WW

Uwe - DK3WW

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Lasse,
I can confirm what you wrote in point 1. I was extremely annoyed again today. I hope that something like this will be done soon! I am using f6600 with ssdr 3.1.8. 73! Uwe
Photo of Paul G4AFU

Paul G4AFU

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I've reverted from v2.6.1  back to v2.4.9 today. So far no cw dropouts. Ethernet cable to Netgear switch box. PC to switch box running DXLab. 20metres of cat6 cable from switchbox to router/internet. Fingers crossed.! 
Photo of Paul G4AFU

Paul G4AFU

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Looks like reverting back to v2.4.9 has cured the tx dropouts. Have used both manual keying with a bug into the radio and the internal winkeyer with paddles. Also CWX works as it should with no dropouts. 
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4603 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
I can't think of any bugs that effect my operation. I do not use CW much, so it is not important for me, how ever I understand for others there are some defects that effect the CW operation.
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 236 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
As always, we only hear of problems that individuals report.

I wonder what percentage of CW operators experience this CW TX power drop out.

I have a 6400 that I've been using for two years, still running 2.4.9, and I have never experienced this problem. Oh, and I do operate CW frequently.
Photo of James Del Principe

James Del Principe

• 372 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Well, as long as we're at it....and I love the radio overall .....   I complained about the WNB doing absolutely nothing and was told it is for well structured noise and to read the manual.   Yes, I know the WNB is for well structured noise and I know how to read the manual but when my friends say theirs works just fine and I see it working well on U-tube, please don't just brush me off and them close the ticket...

Photo of Sergey Abrikosov

Sergey Abrikosov

• 406 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
1. VOX bug !!!
2. ATU not reliable
3. Random SSDR crash when left working in the evening and it is closed in the morning.
4. Noise reduction - not a bug, but need improvements for a different types of noise
5. Automatic AGC - not a bug, but need improvement, it is not practical to do it every time when change the bands. Besides, you can only guess you did it properly. So, it is NOT "AUTOMATIC GAIN CONTROL".
6. PGXL - Windows utility not readable. Waiting for update for a long time.

Sergey, KN7K

Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 621 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
SSDR crash may be due to screen saver.  Just did some testing and for sure it crashes the radio, via killing SmartSDR.  

Sergey Abrikosov

• 406 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I do not think so.
I do not have any screen saver enabled.
Over last few month I worked in different contests till late night 12-1am, going to sleep and find different scenarios in the morning:
1. SSDR does not respond to band changes

2. SSDR completely closed and that screen shows up

3. Weird band confusion.
Watch that video, after few hours of radio standby ,I find my radio on unknown band - Frequency on the top shoes 14Mhz, Frequency on horizontal band show 3.5Mhz. WHERE AM I? Why?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DHh1giv12kt0tMKGsrQ3T2MbhIyPFMTt

4. Maestro does not respond - need to go the Menu-Radio-Switch Radio_Connect-Smart Control. This action needed sometimes to reconnect even it is show me it is in Smart Control Mode.

5. Last week I was working fine FT8 on lower bands in the evening.
Woke up in the morning, found no TX on any modes, besides CW.
Closed Stack3 and all other utilities - no change. Restarted SSDR-no change. Took me about 30-40min to figure it out.
Power cycle 6600 - all good.

Again, these things are random, I can not correlate to anything yet.
Also, 90% of the time it is working fine, but when you see it is happening it is pretty annoying.

Sergey, KN7K
(Edited)
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 245 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
I see these SSDR crashes too, and like you, Sergey, I can't correlate them to anything. Something I'd like to see is for Flex to publish their network service requirement. I've been playing with a Maestro on SmartLink for the last week or so and it's a hot mess. Waiting for a 50' Ethernet cable to show up so I can eliminate WiFi, but what's the spec? I've looked over years of questions on the forum and there's no hard answer on what triggers a connection reset. Is it n lost packets? Out of sequence packets? k of n lost packets? Checksum errors? If I know the spec I stand a fighting chance of at least configuring my network gear correctly, even though I still have no control over carrier networks. I have multiple 100 Mbps connections on both sides and SME enterprise grade networks on both ends of the connection.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4603 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
There are some people with this problem, for most of us I for one have never seen a crash, thanks for posting that screen shot of your crash, now I know what it looks like.
Asher, it seems that you are having many problems. Have you contacted Flex to ask this question? They have staff that are really good finding out what the problems would be.

Sergey Abrikosov

• 406 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Asher, I do not use any wifi on my setup and 6600 and Maestro hard wired to a Network switch. Last week my radio and PC is 24h ON and there is no a single crash.

My typical Network status look like that - captured this morning after about 10hours of idle.

As I said above, it is intermittent and hard to catch a correlation with anything.

Sergey, KN7K
(Edited)
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 245 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
After watching Maestro crash every couple hours on the same WiFi I use for hours of Zoom and FaceTime streaming every day, I ordered an Ethernet cable and the Maestro is much happier with a wired connection.

Now I'm thinking the Maestro barfs when the WiFi link resets, and I don't have any control over that. Using Ubiquiti SME-grade WiFi because they have a reasonable management console for multiple APs. Would be nice if Flex generated error logs or issued any kind of reporting to help troubleshoot. My typical Maestro latencies are in the 120ms range; about double my ping latencies. 
Photo of KD0RC

KD0RC

• 176 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I have the "right" kind of noise and the WNB is a lifesaver! Depending on band and time of day, I get a 10dB reduction in the noise floor across the band. 80 M in the evening can be completely unusable without it. Getting rid of noise is a complex business, and not all reduction schemes work on all noise. I don't doubt that there will be advancements in this area, but I feel like Flex has done as well or better than most.
Len, KD0RC
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1565 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
I agree about the WNB. 20% humidity here today with a slight breeze. Powerline noise is acting up.

Here is a video of WNB in action.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/onvpyip15p7iw1d/Desktop%202020.04.16%20-%2011.38.23.01.mp4?dl=0

Dave wo2x 
Photo of Uwe - DK3WW

Uwe - DK3WW

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You are using version 3.1.9. This is not available in the download ... For me, the WNB and the NB work unsatisfactorily. (F6600 + SSDR 3.1.8)
73! Uwe
DK3WW

• 1565 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Here is a video on an older, pre3.0 release version of SmartSDR.

The WNB is designed for wideband noise such as powerline noise. If you notice in the videos the noise is constant across the whole spectrum, not spikes.

https://youtu.be/oOPXKrd7xKo

Dave wo2x
(Edited)

James Del Principe

• 372 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
That is exactly the kind of noise I have but the WNB does nothing....  nada...nein...niet.....zip.

I can understand the NB doing nothing because it is for impulse noise which I do not have but the WNB should do something!    

• 1565 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Try a level of 93. Give it a few seconds for the WNB icon on upper right of panadapter to go from dark blue to light blue.

if the noise floor is jumping up and down as shown in one of my videos then WNB will keep trying to find best solution.

can you do short video or screenshot of your noise?

Dave wo2x

• 1565 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Also turn off any preamps. That will affect the signal level WNB sees.

James Del Principe

• 372 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Thanks, David. I have tried all different levels of settings on WNB. I do wait and the color does shift from the dark to light blue but no change in noise floor. I rarely use the preamps. They are rarely necessary and only add to the perception of noise.
The noise floor does not jump but is a steady frying sound.... usually around -115 on the panadapter scale (right side scale)
Not really sure how to do a video or screen shot. I have taken videos with my smart phone but how would I post that here?  Is there a way to capture it within the computer itself?    Many thanks, Jim

• 1565 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Hi James.

-115 may be a normal noise floor depending on band, conditions, environment, and antenna.

What I see here is a jump from -118 up to near -100. So a lot higher than the level you are seeing. It is most pronounced on 40 and 15 meters. 
Dave

James Del Principe

• 372 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Dave, that is with my normal antennas which are an OCFD for 80 to 10 Meters or an EFHW for 80 to 10 meters. I normally work 75 meters in the AM, 20 meters in the afternoon or early evening and then 40 or 80 at night.    That floor pretty much stays the same except when we have exceptional noise like from that CME the other few days. I also have a K9AY loop that I just put up and am experimenting with. It is about 15 dB quieter most times but usually needs 10dB of preamp.

James Del Principe

• 372 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
David, your video is impressive.  The noise shown is exactly what I see. However, the WNB does nothing at any setting. The shade of blue does change showing it is active but no reduction is seen.     Jim

• 1565 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Then even though the noise you have looks the same it is not powerline noise.

You mentioned noise at -115. How wide is the panadapter bandwidth? The wider the bandwidth the higher the noise floor will show. Right now on 80 meters with no powerline noise and panadapter showing 200 kHz my noise floor is -109. On 80 with 200 kHz panadapter it is around -111. Now zoom in on 40 and you will see the noise floor drop down. This has to do with bins per pixel and was explained by Steve Hicks in detail a while back. Based on your -115 noise floor reading (dependent on how wide the panadapter is) I do not believe you have an issue.

I'll try to do a video later showing the different values for panadapter width vs noise floor.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Ha Gei

Ha Gei

• 86 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Most annoying 

DSP Modes completely unusable. Any bigger signal nearby distorts audio when any DSP mode is ON . WNB defunct completely for me. It was better with earlier Software.
Noise Reduction sounds awful. 

Missing sidetone monitoring via LAN 

ATU takes far to long and fails on LOW SWR ́s .

Information Flag most times covers signal when you want a big waterfall and less Spectrum. 

Development seems DEAD , mostly any other DSP Radio Software gets updates, bugfixes, features at least once a month. 

If i would not have the 6K4 at the clubstation for remote ( and need to keep 2 more  years as club owned ) it would NOT STAY . 

(Edited)
Photo of Volker Geith

Volker Geith

• 95 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
If Meastro counts as well then the inexplicable performance issues.

73, Volker, DL4RCE
Photo of James Charlton

James Charlton

• 72 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I agree with #1 and #2 but have not experienced #3.  #1 reared its ugly head this weekend during the SKCC WES.  It is very annoying.
Jim  AD0AB
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 555 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
CW TX dropouts are real and very annoying and happen more often than I want them to.  This bug started with 2.5.1 for me.  Hopefully a fix is on it's way soon !
Photo of Rune Wande

Rune Wande

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
CW TX dropout on my 6600 happens to me frequently using the Maestro and as the sidetone works I do not notice that dropout unless I watch the output meter "all the time". 73 de Rune SM5COP
Photo of Adde Tjernberg

Adde Tjernberg

• 85 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This with using DVK when working remote... In order to play the .wav-files from the logging software (or DVK software) it requires DAX TX to be enabled. But with the DAX TX enabled the PTT does not work. In N1MM+ there is a function that do this for you (I assume it's a CAT command?), but to the best of my knowledge it's just N1MM+ that support this.

Adde, SM0SHG
(Edited)
Photo of K5XH

K5XH

• 33 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Some filter settings are not properly "remembered". For instance: I set a profile for RTTY operation (using DIGL mode) and select a 300 Hz filter. Switch to a SSB profile and then switch back to the RTTY profile and the filter is set to something odd. I must select another filter width and then back to 300 to set things right. Been that way since I got my 6600 two years ago. I consider this a minor bug but shouldn't be necessary to do this each time when switching between several SO2R profiles during a contest.

WNB doesn't work very well for me. My old 5000 worked better on my type of noise as does my little IC-7100.
NB seriously distorts the signal so I don't use it much.

Using 2.4.9 still.

73, Mark K5XH
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 934 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
So nothing better to do than complaining and starting a new thread.

Sad to hear you have nothing better to do.

James Del Principe

• 372 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Venting in time of stress can be valuable.... letting off steam in a harmless way.
Besides, these issues have been on people's minds for a while. It is nice to see we are not alone and possibly something positive may come of it.   
Everyone has minded their manners and, hopefully, will continue to do so.
This is an excellent forum with some great contributors. I learn a great deal by reading the comments.
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 236 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I'm still curious about the circumstances regarding this CW TX power drop out problem.

What versions of SmartSDR are being used when this occurs?

As I mentioned, I am using 2.4.9 and have never experienced the problem. Has anyone seen this with 2.4.9?
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 183 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Geoff,
i think it did happen earlier on but started to be a real nuisance from 2.51 (I'm currently at 2.60 and Maestro). I have yet to notice this using CWX or using keying from a logging program, only when keying the radio direct at the front panel. I am using the built-in win-keyer, but did notice the drop-out using external keyer too. Note everything appears normal i.e. side tone, and radio in transmit. Just no oputput. You need to keep an eye at the output meter to notice. As soon as you do a TX->RX->TX cycle your back in business. If are running full QSK or very short delay you may never notice the issue, as your transmission drop will be a character or less.
Photo of Paul G4AFU

Paul G4AFU

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Lasse/Geoff AB6BT
I was using my bug at its minimum 22wpm and had to QRS last night on 60m (qrp 10w out) for a newbie so switched to CWX at around 14wpm. The tx dropout was so severe I had to give up on the QSO. I currently use V2.6.1 and am seriously considering rolling back to 2.4.9 if that cures the tx dropout. 
Photo of James Charlton

James Charlton

• 72 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Geoff,
I run a 6600m with the latest v3.whatever software and I experience the problem from time to time.  I'm not sure how often it occurs because it is vey difficult to trap. 

Basically, when contesting in CW you don't watch a power meter so you are unaware when the rig fails to transmit.  If it does fail, it is only for a fraction of a second because as soon as you let up the key the transceiver switches to receive and will properly transmit the next time the key is pressed.  You don't notice anything is wrong because the side tone is still there.

What the other end hears is a garbled character, say a 'K' misses the first dash and comes out an 'A'.  You begin to suspect something when you hear your call coming back wrong.

I trapped the problem by watching an external power meter on the output of the transceiver and as soon as I saw what was a loss of power I held the key down to be sure.  The power stayed off for as long as I held down the key, but the side tone and everything else seemed normal.  

Letting the up and then pressing it down even a tiny fraction of a second later restored transmitting power.

Jim  AD0AB  
Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 260 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Is that just at high speeds or all speeds?
(Edited)
Photo of Volker Geith

Volker Geith

• 95 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
All speeds, same problem here. Was absolutely horrible during contest. But only happened on 40m. I guess some component related to CW is very hf sensible.

Photo of James Charlton

James Charlton

• 72 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Any speed, but it really hard to spot at 30+ WPM because the dots and dashes go by so fast.  The real indicator is excessive requests for 'fills' during contests.
Jim  AD0AB
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1457 Posts
  • 549 Reply Likes
Interesting.  6600 (non-M) here into an SPE 2K.   I monitor with an LP-700 and work CW 90% of the time, usually around 30 wpm and I don't think I've seen this issue... yet...

I'll keep an eye out for it.
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 555 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Mark,

Unless you are constantly watching the watt meter you will not be aware of this issue.  Or as Jim says you are being asked for fills.  It seems to be worse with hand sent code using a straight key or bug.  That's when I notice it the most.

Perhaps you could write a little program to send up a Windows alert box when TX power drops out during TX enable being active ?

Joe
N3HEE

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1457 Posts
  • 549 Reply Likes
Joe,

Interesting idea but I'm not sure the radio data presented would catch the problem.

IE the FlexAPI does broadcast some power info but the rate at which it comes may not keep up with 30 wpm dit/dahs.

I will do some more investigating though.

I've had local hams complain that I sometimes have keyclicks.   Usually when I get this report I have found my CW delay has been set to zero.  For some reason my amp doesn't like extremely rapid TX enable/disable during high speed CW.

So I just increase the delay slightly, even to like 10ms and the reports of the keyclicks seem to disappear.

I know that one big contributor to clicks is CW rise time but I see how way on the flex or in the API to adjust this.

When I look at my CW wave form on the LP-700 I can see that it has a pretty nice envelope shape with reasonable looking rise and fall times.

This capture from the LP-700 does show the CW rise time to be about 5ms:

I am wondering now if I can use the LP-700 to help catch the TX power loss event.  I will have to do some investigating
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1457 Posts
  • 549 Reply Likes
Well I'm running 3.1.8 here.  I plugged in my straight key so I could play around and set my LP-700 to the fastest setting.

I've been sending dits out for about 15 minutes on 40m and I am not seeing the issue.  I have CW delay set to 0 so the radio is instantly switching back to receive but each dit is giving me the desired power output.

I wonder, are you guys that are having the issue using the internal radio tuner?  I am not.
Photo of Paul G4AFU

Paul G4AFU

• 37 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Mark,
I'm using the 6600 without the internal atu, ethernet connect to pc running Smart SDR 2.6.1. Not full fsk, about 300ms delay. TX dropout both with the bug connected to rear key socket or running CWX.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4603 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
What would happen if you connect directly to the radio, bypassing the network? as a test.
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 245 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Mark,

We don't have a ton of theory of operation info, but presumably the CW waveform is generated by one of the DSPs that may or may not have an RTOS or thread manager. Even if TX uses different cores than RX, it's conceivable they contend on memory buses or other I/O channels.

Might be interesting to see if the CW waveform correlates to RX DSP load. Turn on every pan, slice, TNF, NB, etc.
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 183 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
May I suggest to increase the hang-time. Each time the radio go back to receive it seems to reset something.... Not sure I have seen the drop-out on the first dit or dash. Try have 2-300 ms delay. Past weekend I did some simple tests as I had a hunch that it may be an interaction with my logging program polling. Once that was shut down I had no issues for hours, then out of the blue it started to show. So its a real tricky one... BTW keying is done directly at the radio
(Edited)
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 183 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Beeing the starter of this thread I just kindly want to remind you all what I wrote:
This is about bugs... (not about things working as intended i.e. profiles or remote side-tone).

Feel free to start new topics regarding features that is not behaving the way you like :) Lets keep discussing bugs here. This way users that are encounting issues can find out if others are affected and if has been reportetd earlier. And maybye just maybe Flex will noitce the number of users that are affected i.e. getting those bugs moved up on the todo list.
Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 346 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
With respect, Lasse, to me the unannounced changes to existing profiles in Ver 2 IS a bug. It bugs me every day. Also, the explanation given as to why the changes were made doesn’t make sense. Profiles are setup by the user, for the settings the user wishes to set, and should not be changed accidentally by the user inadvertently touching a knob or a control surface or by making a temporary change to a setting. I implore Flex to deliver on this fix.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4588 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
With all due respect, Flex is not obligated to advertise or tell us about anything they are working on. This is not a bug,. It is a feature. The fact that Flex has been drowned in help desk tickets meant that they needed to do something, it makes great sense. But in doing so It is bothering some because of their operating methods.
It was great that Eric spent the day talking to us and asked what conditions causes problems, they heard clearly. In my case it makes no difference to me either way. I have had no problems with it in the way I operate.
So you see, you don't need to implore anyone, leave it with them.
(Edited)
Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 346 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
I beg to differ Bill, but let’s just leave leave it there. Life is too short to argue over a difference of opinion. Keep well and 73. Winston
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1088 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
I'll play,,,,,, the ANF is all but useless on a carrier ( tuner upper. Intentional or otherwise) on top of a QSO . Unless it's a very weak signal ( the tone being generated) then , no matter the setting combos used, the tone blows right thru the top of the conversation you're trying to copy.
My Icom radios and the Flex 1500 running PSDR all eliminate offending tones. And leave the recieved signal intact without distortion. Even my Timewave DSP 599 ZX hooked to my 6600M removes the tones without distortion.
It appears nothing will ever be done to correct the issue.
James
WD5GWY
Photo of Brian Denley  KB1VBF

Brian Denley KB1VBF

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
And adjusting the ANF strength doesn’t help?
Photo of Mike W9OJ

Mike W9OJ

• 111 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
No, it doesn't help.

James Del Principe

• 372 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Does not work for me either.   Even at the deepest setting.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4603 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
The ANF is not working properly, it's well documented. And it is not a Bug, it is simply unfinished. And this was on the survey most of you took part in.
Photo of N8AUM

N8AUM

• 192 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
What BUGS me is when you set the preamp on Ant 1 than switch to ANT 2 and set preamp than go back to Ant 1 it defaults back to 0 so I set it back to where I want it than switch back to Ant 2 it also defaults back to 0. This past week 10M has had some good openings and it's a real PITA having to keep resetting preamp gain EVERY time just to swap/compare between 2 different antennas. Then theirs what they call "Diversity" reception, I sold my other kidney to get the 2nd receiver thats on the 6600. I ASSumed it was thrrsignal of interest. 
Using ver 3.1.8
(Edited)
Photo of N8AUM

N8AUM

• 192 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I just noticed on my post that it chopped off my ending part about Diversity reception, my fat thumb hit send accidentally and now it looks stupid, which I am lol and I cannot edit and correct it since Bill was super fast in replying to my post.
what I wanted to comment regarding the Diversity was that I wish it was like it is with the 5K running Powersdr where you can change the phase between the 2 receivers to either null out or enhance the signal of interest. I hope that makes sense ? 
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4603 Posts
  • 1092 Reply Likes
Do you mean on the 6400? about the preamp settings and ant1 and ant 2?
The 6400 has one SCU, so that's the only way it can work.
(Edited)
Photo of N8AUM

N8AUM

• 192 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
6600 look on left side in the ANT tab, theirs slider for adjusting preamp gain
(Edited)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 631 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
What bugs me the most?
Put more effort in learning how your radio work than wasting time reading this!
Photo of N8AUM

N8AUM

• 192 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Must be nice having a BUG free station !