Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Broken record here. API for general release?

Richard G7EIX
Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I notice the release notes for 1.05 state API changes.... are you any nearer to a general release of the API yet? (still waiting patiently).
Tagged:

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We continue to work and expand the API on every release, since there are clients under development using it, like SmartSDR CAT for just one example. In that regard, our API license agreements are in final revision process and we are working to have it available in the next week or two. We are looking to provide an experimenter's API/license and a different level of support and distribution options for those who want to commercialize a product for use with the FLEX-6000 architecture.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the update.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim, Will there be a charge for the experimenters license or will it just be an agreement as to the use? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are still working on the details of the API so I can not say at this time. Once completed, we will announce the details of the program.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    If there is a charge for the API I don't see software developers supporting the radio (thinking N1MM).
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Personally I think it should be the same as Microsoft do it. All the API's and documentation be available to all - and if you want to pay for a subscription to the developer network then have that option for support. This is the way MSDN works. But if it is deemed that a subscription model the way it will be done, then include that as a cut-price additional option in the base level subscription we have paid for for software updates. But giving it to all without charge drives more people to experiment. You can always implement a chargeable licence key model for products that will be sold. Right now I would just love to get access to what a few others already have. I feel like I am standing on the ship dock waving at the ship that has already sailed due to not having a ticket for that voyage. Documentation or not, we learn by tinkering and playing - some have been able to already. Anyway, as we don't know how it will be done, a lot of what I have just written is likely moot.
  • Simon@SDR-Radio.com
    edited September 2018
    Any API news? I would like to see the API before deciding on purchase.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Still waiting...
  • Simon@SDR-Radio.com
    edited December 2013
    Good things come to those who wait...
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The API is available for developers that wish to enter the FlexRadio Application Developers Program (ADP). For details, send an email to Lori Hicks (lori -at- flexradio -dot- com). We currently have about a dozen developers in the program and are looking to create a "hangout" where developers can swap information. To date, three programs have been created by independent developers using the three APIs available: CAT (which ships with SmartSDR), DDUtil and K6TU's iPad control application. Internally, both the SmartSDR Windows client and DAX are built on the API as well.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    So is the FlexRadio Application Developers Program (ADP) something new in the past few days/weeks? I, and a few others I know, registered interest a few months ago and was told to hang on while everything was sorted out. Perhaps I wrongly assumed that my then registered interest would have been followed up with an email, or do we need to re-register that interest?
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Can Flex let us know who else they are working with for the API? Has N1MM or DXLabs shown interest? If there are some commercial enterprises working with it, it may be a good idea for us to know and possibly subscribe to them to help with their developement. 73 Greg
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    It's only in the last couple of weeks that the program was finalized and we've been going through and sending details to those who have expressed interest. If we've missed someone, just contact us directly and we'll get the application to you. Richard, I just sent it to you in email.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.