Brand new Flex 6500 no longer transmits ...

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Brand new, two week old Flex 6500, no longer transmits. Panadapter displays signal with modulation but no indication on the Output meter and no RF output at the antenna. How do I proceed with returning the unit. Obviously it is under warranty.

bummed ...

W7NGA  dan
San Juan Island, Wa.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 404 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 998 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
Arrrgh... Dan!  You guys are scaring me.  My 6500 is just a few weeks old too.  I'm sure not wanting problems.  Were you planning to op the 10m contest?  Do you have a backup rig?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Dan, is that CW or SSB or digital? Digital could be a DAX issue, either mis=defined channel or issue with the transit gain on the transmit side of the DAX channel.  OR the Audio Gain. I had a problem similar where the profile had a too low audio gain so while the transmit was technically working nothing was being sent to the ant. Speaking of which, is the red led under the radio's power button lit when you transmit? I have seen that happen, the red light even lights but the audio gain is too low. if SSB is the VOX setting sensitive enough to trip when you speak?

Information....Just the facts Mac.... What else do you see, like where is the audio setting set etc.

Walt
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 842 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 842 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Following up with Walt's excellent points, is the TUNE button working?

When I first starting using my 6500 (1 year ago to the day) after a short time I thought one of the bandpass filter relays had gone kaput.  When tuning within the amateur bands where was a signal but out of bands nothing,  Seemed like a defective relay to me but after analysis it turns out to be a s/w setting. 

I would check all settings closely.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 404 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Thanks all .. but it's broke. I'll check the help desk and send it back to Flex.
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 544 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Just try doing a hard reset of the radio before all the doom and gloom,
not sure on the 6500 but on the 6700 power off the radio then hold the OK button in and hit the power button keep holding the OK button until it starts the count down on the display for 5 seconds and then the radio will flush it's brains and start a fresh.

DON'T use a old profile to reload your settings but rather start over with them.

If your database has gotten corrupt it can get in a mode that locks out the transmitter, this has happened to me just last week.

hope this helps
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 404 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Thanks Bret ... good call, but still doom and gloom here on San Juan Island.
Low level output ~.5 watt maximum on all modes.
(Edited)
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 404 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
I sent my broken 6500 back to Texas today. I have been trying to enjoy my backup Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V Field .. but alas, I cannot. I have become far too accustomed to having a visual sense of the spectrum around me using a panadapter. As others have said ... it feels like being blind without one.

I still enjoy my old Collins and Drake equipment ... but there is no doubt that the worm has turned.

dan
(Edited)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 998 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
Well I've been considering a backup rig and was going to say get something like a Kenwood T2000 but I think I'm in the same boat.

The guy who was going to purchase my 1500 didn't come through so I still have it.  I'm thinking even though it has it's issues it might be something to keep me alive should the 6500 ever break.

Do you remember doing anything before hand that might have broken the 6500?

The other day I was trying to get my remote tuner to tune and couldn't figure out why the SWR was maxed out until I saw that somehow Ant2 had been selected.  I only bumped the power to 10 w but that was scary.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2880 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
that is to bad. I take it the help desk was no help?
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 404 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Dudley and the help desk were great. They understood my issue and determined it a pre-mature component failure. The transistors in the PA most likely. The transceiver failed during receive. I distinctly remember a 'pop' occurring and thinking how odd that was at the time.

Here is where my story goes terribly wrong -

I could not find the outside box the Flex 6500 was originally shipped in. I wanted it to be double-boxed as it had come to me, so I went to the UPS/FedEx facility here on my tiny island and asked for an additional box, slightly larger than the one I brought, to double-box the radio. I would pay the additional costs to do so. Flex had provided a prepaid label to return the radio at no cost to me.

The small store started filling with additional customers as the woman worker, struggling with her English, took my Flex into the back room. Five minutes later, the owner appeared with my Flex now in a box 24x24x12 and asked me for $48.26. I was incredulous ... as I simply asked for an additional box and I had brought my own scissors and packing tape. I said, that I had included a pre-paid mailing label and that I should not be charged for shipping. He now, somewhat irate, said that I owed him $28.15 for styrofoam bubbles, $6 for his labor, $10.41 for the box, and $3.70 for Washington State tax. There were no shipping charges added!

The room was full of patrons by now and I was embarrassed, so I thanked the nice woman behind me for waiting, apologized for taking up so much time, and walked away. 

I will reimburse Flex for any additional charges incurred from my debacle. It took me an hour, and a beer, to get over this. My wife and I travel the world every Summer, so all I had to do was reflect back on some of the less fortunate souls we met in Vietnam and Cambodia this last Summer, put it all into perspective, and realize that life is too short for such distress.

There may have been an additional I.P.A consumed somewhere within that story ...

Flex has been great about this. I couldn't ask for better customer service.

W7NGA  dan
San Juan Island, Wa.
(Edited)
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 842 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Well $48 for a lesson learned is not so bad and better left forgotten. Hopefully the packer is now on the hook for the safe arrival of the shipment. 

US$28 for peanuts!  Truly worth their weight in gold.  I recycle shipping peanuts with local shipment stores. If the store is indifferent to using them I go elsewhere to the stores the appreciate it. One store in particular the owner is especially happy to receive these.

Trust you'll get the radio back soon and be back on the air.

_..--
k3Tim
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2880 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Wow, what a story, everyone needs to save that box!! I know Flex feels really bad about your radio and they hope this does not reflect on the product. Hope you get it back real soon...
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 404 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
A happy ending - I went back to the store after a days reflection and explained my case to the owner. He agreed, saying it was incredibly hectic for his staff, and that they misunderstood my desires and didn't consult with me on their alternative plan when they found they didn't have the proper box.

The owner reimbursed me for all charges. I complained, wanting to pay him for the box and his labor, but he wouldn't bend. So, I left giving him a very large tip and a wish for the best of holidays and the new year.

My 6500 is now in Idaho and should be at Flex's door on Friday. All is well in the world after all!

W7NGA  dan
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I had to send mine back and bought a new custom double lined box for it. Right after I shipped the radio back to Austin I discovered my original box....<sigh> But, yes, the double lined box helps immensely.
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 171 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
You have great character Dan. Good job.

Dan