Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Brand new 6300 fan very loud

I have just tonight set up my brand new 6300 but despite never even transmitting the internal fan is very loud! Is there a setting or issue I should know about? It is very loud. I am running the 1.4.3. Software. Thanks.

Answers

• Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I've had a 6300 since October.  My fan has come on (or probably gone into high speed mode) only once and it was loud.  In this one instance, I probably made a long transmission (SSB) but was running only 60 watts into my amp.  It scared me.  If it happens again, at least I'll know what it is and that it goes away in 30 - 45 seconds.  Good luck with your potential issue.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I started to use my Brand new 6300 yesterday....I used (max power) for around 5 hours.....and didn't even hear the fan...however...it depends at what environment you have your radio shack....my was really lousy ...I have watched at youtube some videos about same complain...good luck
  • Steve MI6SKG
    Steve MI6SKG Member
    edited February 2020
    Well to their credit Flex and the retailer have agreed it needs to be replaced and that will be sorted next week. Both flex and Martin Lynch and sons have been great about it and I would highly recommend them both!
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2015
    Steve,

If you wouldn't mind, can you elaborate a little? Replaced because the one in your radio is bad, or replaced across the whole 6300 line? Sending it back to Flex, or are they sending you a fan? I've contemplated replacing my fan on my own, but have held back in order to avoid voiding my warranty. 

I've only had it kick on a few times on me running PSK at 50-60 watts, but wow was it loud when it did. 
  • Steve MI6SKG
    Steve MI6SKG Member
    edited September 2016
    I have uploaded a video on youtube just search for flexradio 6300 fan issue and the username is aquapiranha. I have done the factory reset and flex agreed it should not do this.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2015
    Just watched the video. My radio sounds pretty much the same as yours. So Flex is saying that that normal fan noise level when idle is not normal? What's their proposed fix? 

Disclosure here is that for a warranty fix, it'll cost me $75 just to transfer the warranty (bought mine second hand) plus the cost of shipping. 
  • Steve MI6SKG
    Steve MI6SKG Member
    edited September 2016
    I can't speak for anyone else but I sent the link to flex too. I will see what the new one does
  • Steve MI6SKG
    Steve MI6SKG Member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Burt this is running 1.4.3 also
  • Phil - N4MT
    Phil - N4MT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Steve, my 6300 sounds exactly like yours in the video.

Any updates?... Is the new fan quiet? A new video for comparison would be great.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am also curious to know if the new fan can solve the problem. Some times ago I found that the great part of noise come from the other two little fans. I have already substituted the big one, but with not great success.
  • Steve MI6SKG
    Steve MI6SKG Member
    edited May 2020
    The new one arrived today with little if any difference so I am guessing that they are all like that. I will move the radio under the desk then. I am guessing that like a computer they have a fan on all the time and so I will learn to live with it.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As they are standard computer fan you could try a very low noise fan like I did. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/low-noise-fan-optional
    It can help you only for 50% of the problem.

• Steve MI6SKG
    Steve MI6SKG Member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks! Might give it a go
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not sure if there is much difference in 6500 / 6300 fan noise but I put the 6500 under the desk along with the power supply.  The advantage is DC pigtail cord is very short and noise is not an issue.  Don't miss looking at the radio as it's rather uninteresting anyway.

_..--
    k3Tim 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.