Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Box to switch easily between Heil Pro-Set Plus! and BM8000 with Flex 6600M?

Andy - KU7T
Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi,
apologize for trivial questions, I am mostly a CW guys, just getting into phone a little more with the Flex now...

I have a 6600M and Heil Pro-set Plus!. I am in the process of adding a microphone boom and mike (likely the BM8000).  I would want to switch easily between headset and boom mike. What kind of wiring or accessary box do people use to accomplish this? I know I can build my one myself, but wanted to see whats out there. I assume its a simple Y connection with a switch that I would need. 

I also assume I would have to switch the profile every time. Do people use software or the radio for it?

Andy
KU7T

Answers

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Andy:

I have a Pro 7 and a boom mic, the Heil cable connectors plug directly into my 6600.

Connect your Pro set to the headphone and Mic inputs,  Connect the boom mic to the balanced input. 

Create two mic profiles using the control panel "P/CW" pane; one for the Heil using the "MIC" input, EQ settings, Mic gain etc, repeat for the boom mic except select "BAL"for the input.  Once created and saved just switch between the two profiles to select the desired microphone. 

Gayle
    K0FLY
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Andy..though NOT a fan of MFJ, their MFJ 1263 does the trick. And it seems RF proof.

Lou N2TU
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Very good. I did not know I had a second input for a 2nd mic right in the radio. That seems like the best solution. 

I am assuming any studio mike can be connected there? Heils, BM8000s, etc. Does the bias setting is still apply to the BAL input as well (ON or OFF, 20DB)?

Andy
    KU7T
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yes a dynamic mic will work when connected to the "Balanced input".  I have a Behringer XM8500 connected to the 6600 Balanced input.  I also have a 6500 with an old Astaic DN-HZ connected to  it's Balanced input. You can read about the input specs in the Flex 6000 hardware manual.  The Balanced input does not have a PTT, I use a foot switch connected to the PTT RCA jack.

I  have not had any problems with RFI on either radio , but i have a couple of clamp on cores installed just in case. 

Gayle

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.