Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bose Companion 2 Series II or M-Audio BX5 D3 Crimson 2 way Studio Monitors for my 6600M

Julie KC0TMD
Julie KC0TMD Member ✭✭
Hello,

I am the happy owner of a Flex 6600M. The radio makes great transmit and super receive. At this time am using some al-cheep or $15 Speakers from Logic Tech with small power sub woofer laying on the floor.

What would be better for pulling in weak SSB stations, the Bose Companion 2 Series III or the M-Audio BX5 D3 Crimson 2 way Monitor: Studio Monitors? I just picked up a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers tonight, but would like some input on this matter.

Answers

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi Julie

do a search here in the community, been disussed numerous time. You will find everything you asking for answered.

I use Bose Companion w. my 6700 and they sound very good, very happy with them. They have been the speakers of choise in this community several times.

Might add that when pulling in weak stations, as well as in contest, I prefer to use a head-set.
  • Mike KB0FX
    Mike KB0FX Member
    edited November 2019
    Julie - I have had the Bose Companion 2 speakers for a week an find they have excellent dynamic range and frequency response. And you can adjust the Flex receive EQ if you are in need of some room compensation. 

73 - Mike - KB0FX
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    i use Bose with my 6600m which sound great for SSB

but

i prefer to use Heil Quiet Phone Headset for pulling out the weak ones on both SSB and CW...

cause it does active noise cancelling which also cuts out the noise that runs thru my House and Barks ;-))

Paul K3SF
  • Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have the Bose Companion speakers.  Bob Heil recommends JBL Control 2P's.  They are a little pricey, but I like them much better than the Bose.

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
      Tune whatever speakers you get to your own ears with EQ.
      Get noise cancelling earphones.

If the speakers you have now have good RF immunity, keep them.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Phil - AA4MY
    Phil - AA4MY Member
    edited November 2019
    Add me to the list of satisfied Bose Companion 2 customers.  I'm using the Series III, I think, with a Flex 6700.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I am running bose companion 2's as well and they are a good rag chew speaker but disappointing for pulling out weak CW and SSB signals. I have to grab my RadioSports when I need help.

I had a set of Palstar speakers before with an amp and they were much better than the Bose but expensive and large. As a matter of fact I got rid of them to gain some shelf space.

That said, I don't plan on getting rid of the Bose anytime soon as they are probably as good as you can get for powdered speakers. Just know there are better out there.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I started out with the Bose Companion 2's, then upgraded to the Audioengine A5+'s.  The upgrade made quite an improvement. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I've found headphones to be the best way to really pull out the weak signals. For audio when I'm not wearing them, I have two options. First is a Monsoon planar speaker system. Sadly, this isn't made any more. The other option is a BlueTooth Egg remote.  I plug a BT adapter into my Maestro's headphone port, and pair them up. Either of your possible setups should do well.

One thing is for certain - you have the right radio to hear the weak ones.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.