Boom for a PR 781?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I got myself a PR 781 mike to use with my 6500 and am now looking for a boom arm to use with it.  The prices range from 20 to over 100!  Any specific recommendations\thoughts?  Would I need or find any advantage from a shock mount?  What is it supposed to do?
Thanks and 73,
Bob, WK2Y

Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 197 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Have a look on Amazon or Ebay - lots of them about from about $7 upwards

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 197 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
That's my dilemma.  I am wondering if the extra $ for some of them is worth it.  I'm just a casual operator, ragchewer. 
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 750 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
I got a Heil HB-1 to go with the 781. Nice finish and works nice . . . No squeaks when you move it. Was like $65
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 416 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
I bought a cheap “Newer” boom, and regretted it almost right away - too short, poor mechanism to control the bends, weak spring, etc. I found unless you pay over $100 (in Canada, everything is more expensive - maybe $65 at Amazon.com:-), you don’t get a great arm.

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 197 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Thanks.  Good to know.

Photo of Neil   N4FN

Neil N4FN

• 78 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
The boom I use is made by RHODE, it is less than the Heil unit but not a cheapie
Neil  N4FN
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 416 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
That was the “more expensive” one I was referring to above. Solid quality, but C$150 now :-(

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 197 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
At that price, it should also be sturdy enough to use as a weapon :-O
Photo of Scott Russell - N1SER

Scott Russell - N1SER

• 130 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Don't waste your money on the cheap fleabay or Amazon booms or Heil. The Rode PSA1 is excellent quality but not overpriced.  https://www.bswusa.com/Microphone-Booms-Rode-PSA1-Boom-Arm-P9631.aspx 

Shock mount is to prevent desk noise or vibrations from getting into the mic through the arm. Depending where you mount the boom may determine if you really need a shock mount. Not bad to have either way though.
(Edited)
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 78 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
The Rode PSA-1 boom is very good and appears to used by a lot of bloggers (100 dollar range). 

I chose a cheaper boom made by Sampson (MBA38), which appears to be a copy of the Rode unit..  I have been using the Sampson for two years, no problems.   There are two versons a short 28 inch and a longer 38 inch. 

I would not buy a boom with external coil springs, they appear to be nothing more than one of the adjustable arm desk lights with the Mic hardware in place of the light fixture.  I have a very  old one with external springs, it is noisy when you adjust  it.

I would spend at least $50 on a boom.

Gayle K0FLY

Scott Russell - N1SER

• 127 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Nice find... doing a quick look on Amazon and found another similar. Both look like great options to the Rode but not quite a copy. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHLSTLV/ref=psdc_11974591_t1_B06XY9B3BK
Photo of AB4RW

AB4RW

• 97 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I bought the Hell SB 1, it's 65.00 new, I had a friend of mine that wasn't using his and sold it to me for 35.00, it was new too. Good boom, no squeaks, hell attaches right to it. Didn't buy the shock mount, you don't need it.

Scott Russell - N1SER

• 127 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
I think you mean the SB-2 and if Hell attaches right to it, it must be a hell of a boom!
Photo of AB4RW

AB4RW

• 97 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Your correct! My apologies, it is the SB 2
Wrong again, after getting home and looking, it's the HB 1
(Edited)