Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Blank Area on SSDR when moving around panafalls

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
Is there a reason we get this blank area when moving around panafalls?  I dont see any benefit to not having the open panafalls go full screen?

Rich

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What radio? is this over SmartLink?  I'm not seeing it here 

Bret
    WX7Y

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Just SSDR over local network.  It is on my 6600 but not related to this model or V2 for that matter as my V1 6500 did it as well.

It only happens when you are rearranging the panafalls.  Not a big issue but just wondering if there is a reason for it.

Rich

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Maybe your video drivers or screen resolution. Like I said I have never seen this on my 6700. I've ran it on probably over 20 different windows tablets to server class computers. Hope you figure it out as looks like it may be a local issue.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

In my case over the years its been on two computers with different resolutions.

It happens when you don't expect it but one way to force it is this. 

https://vimeo.com/264992171

The cursor does not show up in that but basically I clicked the minimize/maximize button, drug the bottom bar that controls vertical height and hit the min/max button again. It will do it other ways but this is a way to force it.

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Never seen anything like that with either the 6500 or the 6400 after 4 years, 2 computers, & multiple monitors.  I have no idea what would cause it.
  • Abed - AB5ED
    Abed - AB5ED Inactive Employee
    edited April 2018
    Rich,

Clicking the button to the left the Panadapter close button will expand it back to its normal state.

When you have multiple Panadapters open, this button allows you to maximize a specific Panadapter/Waterfall to the top area of SmartSDR.  When you do this, a gray bar with 4 dots will appear underneath-- you can drag this bar to resize this top area to your liking.

You can see this gray bar in the image that you posted underneath the second Panadapter.  In your case you have both of your Panadapters in the "Maximized" state at the top of SSDR.  For most PC monitors, I find it to be most effective to have only one large Panadapter in the Maximized state, while having several smaller ones underneath.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I was just wondering if there is a reason for this.  I see no benefit to having this blank area.

That was the reason I asked the question.  Thanks for the response. It seems like it should always fill the SSDR area.

Rich

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    If there is no previous FFT display data available to the client, then there is no data to generate the waterfall display.  The client requests only the data it needs to generate the spectrum display with a little "guard area" on either side of the visible bandwidth of the display.  If you tune the panadapter beyond that guard area, there is no recent TTF data to create the waterfall.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I think you are looking at the wrong blank area Tim :)

Not talking about either panafall.

Rich

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    OK.  But my explanation is still correct in how the waterfall is rendered ;-)
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Yes I agree with that.  You are correct as usual :)

As I said, no big deal and must be a quirk in the software that the panafalls don't always maximize back out. No big deal.

By the way the new 6600 (non M) has not missed a beat since I got it. A++++++

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.