Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bit the bullet and purchased a used 6500 a 2013 model

Cliff
Cliff Member
Just bit the bullet and puchased a used 6500 from a retired guy.

Has there been any hardware updates from the early 6500s to the present day ?

Says Limited Edition on the front Panel

Looking forward to setting it up , may be adding a Maestro at a later time.

Now to learn the ins and outs had a 1500 but this is a big step up.

Cliff VK2NP

Answers

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Cliff, I just saw one advertised on VKClassifieds, from Qld.  Was that the one?  Im sure youll be very happy with the 6500, as I am.  Maestro, is a great addition as well.

Cheers
    Wayne

• Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi Wayne,

Yes it was me, couldn't resist seemed a fair price , been looking for ages at a 6700 but just too expensive. 
    A Maestro will be a future purchase looks great.

Now to sell something :) maybe my other SDR

Cheers
    Cliff VK2NP
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It did look a good price, my 6500 cost about $6300 after exchange rate, customs and delivery
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited February 2017
    Should have it next week so will see if I made the right decision.

Wish I'd kept the Flex Control knob I had 
  • Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited May 2017
    I am sure you will love it. Congratulations!
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well done Cliff,
    I would have been tempted to get a second.
    Maestro due soon after a long wait.
    Andrew de VK5CV
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Andrew and Tony

Does anyone know if the Griffin Powermate knob will work with the Flex SmartSDR s/ware ?

What leadtime currently on the Maestro ?

What do people use for speakers for the Flex Radios ?

Cliff VK2NP

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well done Cliff. I'm sure you will be very pleased with it. I've had my 6700 for almost two years now and, although I loved my PROIII, and will probably never sell it, it has hardly ever been turned on since my 6700 arrived. Im having a lot of fun with the Maestro at the moment and can't wait to get the VPN up and running. I'm sure you will have a lot of enjoyment from your purchase. Regards and 73 Winston VK7WH
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ps Cliff, I am using a Bose Companion II series III I purchased second hand on Gumtree. Works very well Winston
  • Tom Porada
    Tom Porada Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I use the Bose Companion II because it has dual inputs (computer & 6500). I do I get a little RF coming thru even with a few  snap on ferrites but it isn't very noticeable. About $100.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Get a simple ground loop filter, which is about $10US, and put it in line between the computer and the Bose speakers. It solved the problem for me. It is a simple pair of audio transformers that breaks a ground loop when you have both rig and computer connected to the Bose.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use them, too. I like them a lot.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Congrats and welcome. No hardware changes for the 6500. I have the same unit and have been delighted since day one.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Congratulations on you 6500.  Your going to love it.  I've had my 6700 for well over 2 years and I have a real difficult time going back and using a conventional rig.  While there are still numerous bugs and shortcomings with the software, SmartSDR just keeps getting better with each release. A little patience and you'll be fine.

I've have and I've tried lots of different speakers.  Believe it or not, I'm currently running a really old set of Altec speakers and they work great.  No rfi, plenty of volume and they are very clear and easy to understand peoples voices.  If you don't want to spend the money, use what you have and see how they work.  You may be surprised.  The Bose work well too but they are somewhere else right now.

There was a hardware update a while back.  I can't remember if it was only for the 6700 or all of the 6000 series.  Everyone sent their rigs in (Flex paid shipping both ways) and got the updates for free.  I'd contact the Helpdesk, give them your serial number and see if they can tell you if the update had been done and if there were any other hardware changes since your Signature series unit had been produced.

I have a FlexControl and while I don't want to get rid of it, I really don't use it very much.  I started out without the FlexControl and just got so use to using the mouse that once it arrive, I couldn't break the habit of grabbing the mouse for control.  I usually have several panadapters and slices open at any given time and using the mouse just seems much easier and quicker to me.  They aren't too expensive and you may find someone on here who has one they'd be willing to sell at a discount.

Take care and enjoy one of the best rigs on the market.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There were NO HARDWARE UPDATES for the 6500
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There have been no required updates for the FLEX-6500 since it's release.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    To "bite the bullet" is to endure a painful or otherwise unpleasant situation that is seen as unavoidable. The phrase was first recorded by Rudyard Kipling in his 1891 novel The Light that Failed
    Buying a Flex is painful?
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Only the "pain" of paying for it!

:-)
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I think you're being a bit literal Burt.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @BUrr BIte the bullet refers to the biting of a paper cartridge containing paper,,gunpowder and a bullet to load a rifle. The technology and the phrase was used from the early 1700's of not even earlier.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I think the OP doesn't care where the term came from and is excited to own a Flex 6500.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Cliff
    Congratulations on you upcoming happiness!image

73, Jay - NO5J

• Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement ,

I just had a brainwave thinking about speakers my old Sony Monitor MFM-HT95 has built in ones, might try them first. Not sure how RF isolated they are.

Can't wait to try it out next week when the Flex arrives,

Cliff VK2NP

• Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Winston,

I also have Legacy Radios along with another small SDR trx and a rx.
    Looked at the Flex 6000 lineup for sometime ,like the development of IOS and Mac software along with smartsdr. Running it from the iPad sounds cool.

Probably a long waiting list for the Maestro I am guessing.

Cliff VK2NP
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited December 2016
    Will look out for some, AudioEngine look good but not cheap.
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks George good to know
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Tim
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited December 2016
    Interesting where the term came from, I don't think getting the Flex is a painfull experience but yes I am excited to finally get one.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @CLiff. Your usage of the term Implies you loaded the gun and fired the shot. Not implying pain at all as Burt incorrectly assumed Congratulations and welcome to the Excitement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.