Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Binaural Audio 6400M for headsets what Advanage

KL4QG
KL4QG Member ✭✭
What does Binaural Audio Do?

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    if you are operating split, as in working a DXpedition, you can have the DX station in one ear and your transmit frequency (in the middle of the pileup) in the other. In actuality, with the Flex and its waterfall display, you can often find the frequency of the station being worked visually and pounce on that frequency, or slightly higher (assuming the DX is tuning up the band).
    You can adjust the apparent position of each channel's audio in the stereo field using the pan pots in each slice flag.

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Craig:

I think he asking about the "Binaural Button " on the Radio Configuration "RX Tab" that enables a audio phase difference between the two speaker/headphone channels. 

The function sometimes helps to pull a weak station out of the noise.  You need to experiment with the function to see if you like it.

Gayle K0FLY
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes on RX Tab
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Joe:

I will give you my take on it.  If a signal is right at the noise the phase difference may help copy of the weak signals.   For my worn out hearing, I see no improvement with the function enabled. You mileage may vary.

Gayle 

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Gayle I’m using RadioSport Headset I’m hard hearing Well at lease I pretend hear better lol
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Joe, the binaural implementation on the Flex feeds the audio from the left and right channels 90 degrees out of phase with each other.  It is supposed to enhance reception of weak signals by making the "sound stage" larger. Or wider. Or something along those lines. On my 6300 with 2.4.9 it sounds different when enabled, but I don't hear any significant improvement. But the current implementation does not lend itself to easily switching it on and off (unless they have changed things since 2.4.9) so it's hard to do A/B comparisons.
    Doug K4DSP

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Kinda getting fed up with new things made now JBL control 2p has hum and how heck u use wire RCA plug to speaker and back FLex 6400M with RCA plug it don’t fit right on flex
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

There is a neat demo blog post with media on Binaural Audio in general at https://vimeo.com/blog/post/binaural-audio-a-fully-immersive-audio-experience/

Things like this are sensed slightly differently by different people.  I am sure you can dig into the science behind it.

A good set of stereo headphones helps most people explore the effect.

SteveK9ZW
    Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.