Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Biggest Battery for the Maestro?

ka7gzr
ka7gzr Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro

I'm still looking for the biggest battery that can fit inside the Maestro battery compartment. The Mogix and the Polanfo fit nicely but don't utilize all of the compartment. I thought that the Puridea S3 was the answer but its thickness doesn't quite make it leaving the battery door slightly bulging even after removing the vinyl dot in the base of the compartment. Of course any battery must leave room to put the USB connector on.

Any other battery experiences?

Jim

ka7gzr

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We don't recommend filling the entire compartment with a battery bank.  Having some clearance helps with heat dissipation, even with the vented cover in place.  The key spec you need to look for is the mAh rating, not the physical size of the battery.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Agreed, I installed a 128800mAh battery pack that gives as much time as I need to run. I haven't used it long enough to discharge because if I'm near an outlet I plug in, I bought two extra adapters to make sure I have one with me all the time.

My door however is curved so both edges protrude looking low quality but I think I can fix that.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I am also looking for the highest capacity battery that will fit inside the Maestro.

Any ideas as of 6/2018

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    The Polanfo 20000M gives about 4 1/2 hrs runtime. They used to be about $20 on Amazon but are now $59.95 Dave wo2x
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I went to walfart with my wife this afternoon and noticed that they had a few Blackweb 6000 mAh batteries on clearance for only $4 each, so I figured for 4 bucks what the heck so I bought 2.

Now since they are only 6000 mAh they wont last that long but I found with a full charge they last almost 3 hours. So not too bad for $4 each! I just hooked it up to my maestro and let it stay powered up until the battery ran out.

When I get some more time I will find a bigger battery for now these will work.

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Jim, the Mogix wil power the Maestro for 8 hrs +. The nice thing about the battery it is self starting.
    I have two of them and they work great.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Hello Bob, I just ordered the Mogix 10400mAh battery new from mogix for only $29.
    If it works good I will get a second.

• Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I use two Mogix 10400 mAh as well. So far so good.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    How long do yours last?
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    About 3.5 hrs but I haven’t had it very long. Will have a better idea after field day.
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I just bought 2 Mogix 10400 mAh packs which have both 2.1A and 2.5A ports. The short cable on the Maestro aligns better with the 2.1A port (center). Per the Maestro manual 2.0A minimum required: "The battery must supply 5 volts DC and should be capable of supplying a minimum of 2.0 amps through a USB type A connector."

Per Tim's https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/210311883-Suggested-Battery-Packs-for-Maestro post of suggested battery packs:

"Recommended Current Supply: 2.5A at 5V DC output"

Thoughts from the community? Wish the USB cable in the battery compartment was about an inch longer :)

Ron WB2WGH
    Flex 6600 & Maestro user for 9 days now. Love it!

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I too would just like to adjust the Maestro USB cable but don't want to void the warranty opening up the back panel. It’s just a tiny bit too short. 

• bill morton
    bill morton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    there are several solutions - the simplest is a USB right angle adaptor  either wired or hard - sold by manyimage
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Bill, does not look like this will work with my Maestro. If I run the USB cable up it almost touches the top of the battery housing and so not enough space for the right angle adapter. If I run the USB cable down, not enough cable to permit it to flex 90 degrees down. 

Thanks,
    Ron WB2WGH
  • bill morton
    bill morton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well mine does not need one but It looks like I have plenty of room for it - I use the Mogix pack. There are other 90 degree adaptors available just have to search for the one that will fit your battery. 
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Given the really short cable, my plan is to:
    - Use a 1' USB extension cable
    - 3D print a replacement battery housing cover with a slot in it for the extension cable to exit the internal compartment
    - The 3D printed cover would have an outward facing retainer for the Mogix. 

Now all I need is some time design the replacement cover in between  mastering the 6600/Maestro/SmartsDR/K9DUR voice keyer/N3FJP before Field Day. Have most bases covered and just need to test the voice keyer. 

Ron WB2WGH
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

My plan is to pass a USB cable through the battery door and mount a giant battery on the back of the Maestro, something like a 27,000 mAh battery or bigger. Hopefully FRS will make spare battery covers available soon, :)

• Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    In fact, was just looking at my Maestro and Mogix. I've modified my strategy since the recent post above. Velcro Mogix to Maestro non-tilt feet (fits well) and connect via 1' USB extension cable. If FRS makes spare battery covers, I'll abandon the 3D printed one and just buy an extra to add the required slot for cable egress.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well if flex doesn't make them you can always sell your design to the Flex community :)
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I plug mine into the 2.5A port no problem. image
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    That doesn't work for me. USB cable too short. Note angled connector in attached picture. Too much stress on cable and connector.image
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    So here is my fix. 1' USB extension cable stored in battery compartment when not in use. 2 rubber bands securing cover and battery (inside of cover facing up as it makes a nice cradle for the battery) to fixed base. Rubber bands positioned to clear fixed base rubber feet so base doesn't rock. All unnecessary if Maestro cable were an inch longer. image
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Which model battery pack is;

1.  Still available on Amazon

2.   Auto-Starting   (no button press needed)

3.   Large mAh capacity, but fits the capartment

The previous list that Tim/Flex posted has a lot of "no longer available" models.

Suggestions?

Cheers,

Neal
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    What Maestro batteey did you finally decide on Neal?
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I never found any answer or idea other than the 10400 mAh Mogix.
    I have not yet purchased a battery for my Maestro.
    No one has indicated if any other currently available (2019) battery
    of any other capacity will fit the Maestro.   I find it hard to believe that
    only one pack on the planet fits, but apparently no one else is sharing.

With regard to the Krecoo 20000 mah,  below,  that IK3GHR shares,
    I am highly skeptical that it really has such capacity.   You can't cheat
    the laws of physics and suddenly have a battery twice as thin with
    twice the capacity.  That would be a four times multiplier :-) 
    And only one company doing it, with a very small number of reviews. 
    It would be interesting to perform a proper lab run-time test with a recording
    voltage and current meter, to see the real truth there.  But I won't purchase
    it simply to test it that way.

Does anyone else have any others to share?

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.