Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Big little shack computer

Martin AA6E
Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Running SSDR on a mini Intel NUC kit. Integrates nicely on the desk.  Blog post.  

Comments

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Pictures! - or it didn't happen. :)
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've been running on a NUK5I7 for about 1.5 years with 2 monitors (1 native and the other USB Video Card) and I would not go back to a big desktop, my power bill went way down and the NUK5I7 runs on my stations 13.8Volt supply / Solar Batteries system just great. 

Pictures? don't know what that would do over looking up the Intel NUK on line.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    With a 12V supply, I've just got to have one. I can pitch (re-purpose) my UPS!

It's not about pictures of the NUC, that's easy. It's about the shack running the NUC.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Had me interested but I looked it up and the reviews says it does not work with Windoz 7. Would have been nice because it would run off my Solar bank of batteries just like my rig. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    From the blog post:
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    What OS does it run???    This could put me closer to a battery backup station. 73, Jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    We use NUCs for hamfest demo.  They work very well.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Been using one for about six months and to tell you the truth if the need ever rises I would buy another. Intel has a winner.
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Delbert,

The reviewers may have been correct in "their experience", Windows 7 works with most all NUCs. USB 3.0 had to have a special add-on. Here is a discussion of Windows 7 install and extra driver/installer for USB 3 use:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-carnage-will-continue/2017/10/02/59e51d62-a7ab-11e7-850e...
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The NUC5I7 series does run on WIN7, I think that the NUC7I7 needs to run WIN10 for the USB C/Firbolt to work
    IT DOES RUN on my 12V Solar system perfectly
    Bret
    WX7Y 
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are any of you using monitors that run off of 12v?    I haven't seen many medium to large displays (27" or >) that run off of 12v DC.

Norm - W7CK

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Norm,
    I have two Samsung 24" 1080p TV/Monitors that have 12V external power supplies.  They are pretty RF Quiet, unlike the Panasonic they replaced several years ago.

I have not tried to run them from my main 12V Shack Power supply (an Alinco DM330 that is also RF Quiet above 500 Hz) but I am sure I could if I wanted to.  Eventually  plan to put some Powerpole connectors and a fuse in their power line.

When I can afford to upgrade my two monitors to a single 4X UHD large screen (40-48 inches) then one of these will be moved to our Roadtrek mini RV and operated via the 12V supply lines.
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I have a pair of Samsung 4k U28E590D 28” monitors that are running off my station 13.8V supply. They came with laptop style AC to DC power supplies that indicated they were 14.0V output. I bought two extra ones really cheap off of eBay (kept the originals just in case I wanted to sell the monitors) and cut the cables on the monitor side off, added Anderson power pole connectors, and viola! Two less power supplies in the shack. Works great, no issues. Justin KL2D
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    same here I have ZERO wall warts in my station, 
    Radios 
    NUC computer
    Monitors
    Powered USB3 Hub
    ASUS Router
    Netgear Ethernet switch
    Speakers
    Ethernet Power Switchs
    Antenna switch

Plus all other accessories I have found and searched specifically for 12 to 14 Volt Opertion
    ALL runs on my solar power Batteries
    73's

Bret
    WX7Y

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I just bought a NUC5i7RYH (Core i7-5557U Gen5 , 8GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD). Should be absolutely perfect for the job.

Thanks for the tip!
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thank you!
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    @Gary -  You gave us the wrong link!
  • Gary Wells
    Gary Wells Member
    edited October 2017
    Using a NUC5i7 here with W10 with my new Flex. Absolutely perfect here as well. Gary WB9AYD
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited May 2018
    Windows 7 will NOT work on any Intel 7th generation CPU. eg i5-7xxx 5th and 6th gen are fine.
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    How many monitors will the NUC support and what resolution?  I have a couple 29" wide screen monitors that are set at 2560 x 1080.  Will the NUC handle them?  Rich

• Gary Wells
    Gary Wells Member
    edited January 2020
    I run with two wide screen monitors that are 25:9 which are like having 4 monitors. 34" diagonal. Works great! Gary WB9AYD
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    NUC (seventh generation) claims to support 3 monitors through 2 I/O ports, HDMI (1 display) and USB-C (2 display streams, Thunderbolt 3).  I use a simple USB-C to HDMI adapter cable to drive my second HDMI monitor. Check Intel specs here. Apparently good for up to 4096 x 2160 pixels each.  Works for me!
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks Martin and Gary.
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks Gary,

I'd like to upgrade to a pair of 34" monitors in the future.  There was a big performance boost when I went to the 29" monitors.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I'd rather have pixels than inches and position the screen closer to the op.  My two 22" monitors already take up too much space on my desk.  (See my photo above.) Different strokes.
  • Gary Wells
    Gary Wells Member
    edited October 2017
    Costco has these that I use. Great for multiple stuff going on that I can't fit on a conventional monitor. With my eyes bigger screen is better. As you say, different strokes.

LG 34UM61-P 34" UltraWide Full HD IPS Monitor
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I've been using an i5 NUC running Windows 10 on my 6500 - two monitors. Works flawlessly - best change I ever made. Boot up time with the SSD is ~ 20 seconds.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Bret, were you the person I helped get VPN setup a few months ago? That is honestly the first I've heard of NUCs. 
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Gary, I have an LG 29UM67-P. The power jack input says 19V DC. Does your 34UM61-P say the same? Do you run yours with 13.8V? What are the odds my 29" will also work with 13.8V?
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Yes, Martin, I ****-fingered the copy/paste of the URL. The correct URL is below, and as the post from G7BCX noted, there are limitations (although some *seem* to have over come those. 
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000017241.html

A Google search for this "Intel NUC Windows 7" will result in MANY entries about Win7 and NUCs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.