Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

bhi Parametric Equalizers EQ20B-DSP on a Flex 6700

David Livingston
David Livingston Member ✭✭
Has anyone used the bhi Parametric Equalizers EQ20B-DSP on a Flex 6700 and how well does it function???

Answers

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    David
    I do have the Bhi NEIM 1031, which I dont think they do anymore and it is certainly a worthwhile addition to the 6500 and 7610 that I have.  Guessing the new parametric DSP would also be.  Did see them demo'd at Dayton this year
  • Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have the EQ20B-DSP connected to my legacy 7851. I should connect it to the 6400 and give a report. It works really well on the 7851 with both devices set simultaneously to provide only a small amount of NR. I have shocking suburban QRM here, which is not helped by using an OCF!
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    i am looking to purchase this one for flex6600, probably in caming weeks
    KN7K
  • David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I ordered one today from DXEngineering. I will report on my experience after I use it for a day.
    Thanks for the comments...  73 K4CAE
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    David, please post your report.
    I contacted BHI a month ago and asked if they would provide a schematic or at least point of connection to Line OUT.
    As far as I know (i could be wrong), most people use powered Speakers on their computers and having EQ20B-DSP with only powered output make it challening setup.
    Currently I use headphones and Powered Speakers. BHI response was to use Headphone output for speakers or headphone. For the price they charge I do not need another box where i constantly switch output. I do not need their Powered output and in case they can provide point where I can get Line Out from, I defently would order right away. Month ago I was told they will check with Engineer, but he is on vacation... still waiting for reply.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Jim Ricker
    Jim Ricker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Sergey,
    Mine should arrive today. Plan to first try Bose Companion speakers(powered). If there is a issue I will try my Yaesu 9000. I will post initial results on how the speaker connections went. I am sure there will be a learning curve on using the box.
    Jim
    K6CEF
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Jim,

Just make sure to use headphones output for powered speakers input.
    Maybe you can do recording?.

Sergey, KN7K
  • Jim Ricker
    Jim Ricker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The unit arrived and I hooked it up.
    Sergey YOU ARE CORRECT YOU CANNOT USE POWERED SPEAKERS!!!
    I first tried using my Bose companion speakers. No joy. Had a faint hum was all that was going through.

I then rewired and hooked the unit to my Yaesu 9000. It works perfectly. 
    First thoughts: The DSP works very well.

I had the NR OFF on the 6700 

Below is a photo showing the unit infant of the Maestro for size comparrison.
    David Livingston let us know when you get your unit and what you find.

Here is a video taken with my iPhone:  https://youtu.be/8H57MRK1pDA

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you Jim,
    How did you find a parametric equalizer?
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi Guys !
    will be interesting signal delays with this DSP, pls report 
  • Jim Ricker
    Jim Ricker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I do not notice a DSP lag
    Sergey I will have to play with the equalizer a bit more to give you an honest option. The DSP works great though.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Jim. So, do you prefer BHI dsp for noise reduction vs. Flex NR? Sergey, Kn7k
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thank you Jim, i agree with Sergey statement below, can you make 2 audio files: with Flex NR only and with BHI dsp for comparing purpose
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I got reply from BHI. They now understand the importance of Line Out. They are going to build a prototype and test it, but it will not happen before October Sergey, Kn7k
  • Jim Ricker
    Jim Ricker Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    OK I will try to get two videos out one with NR one with out. I will try before the holiday weekend as I will have a full house of family.

Jim
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Guys, any more feedback?
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I am curious as well.
  • N4DOV n4dov
    N4DOV n4dov Member
    edited November 2018
    A rather delayed response here.

I got tired of waiting for updates to the Flex NR, and having had success with other BHI products over the years, have been using the BHI Para-Pro EQ20 with my Flex 6500 for several months.
    For me, it is excellent and superior to the radios NR. I actually discussed this with the company at the last Orlando Hamcation. Prior to using the ParaPro EQ, I was using BHI Dual in-Line with the Flex, which also was superior to Flex NR. That now is being used with my Yaesu FTDX-3000, where it is a bit redundant as the FTDX 3000 has a superior  NR system. I did note that the Dual In-Line works better for mono reception than the ParaPro,  in my hands.  With the flex, the ParaPro handles the noise better than the Dual In-Line, and I believe noise elimination algorithm in the ParaPro is the latest upgraded version. Further the BHI company is extremely responsive to emails and the engineers will even chat to you over the phone if needed, rather impressive as the company is in England. As regards the EQ part of it, it adds a further dimension to the received signal, which I find useful.
    Those that visit my shack, remark on the quality and how clear and strong the receive audio is.The second part to the audio is my speakers. Like Sergey, I use Audioengine A2+ powered speakers. These, to me, are so superior and crisper and louder (more watt output) than the Bose or Logitech speakers talked about here in the forum. To me, they are the best computer speakers.  Again they are more expensive.
    Hope this helps.

David N4DOV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.