Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Better Control of Audio Mute Function in Slices

Patrick
Patrick Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
One of the functions that is not run efficiently is the muting of the individual Slices. Currently when shifting between slices, you have to mute the active slice then activate the desired slice.  this takes at least two mouse clicks to accomplish this task.  This gets really time consuming if you have 4 (or 8 for the 6700) slices active.  First I would not change the right click function but would add the following function:

By right clicking on the slice activation line (Left click would remain the same as now) you would cause the the selected slice audio to activate and the previous slice to mute.  This way the operator can switch from slice to slice with one click and only one audio output will be on at a time.  This would eliminate 50% of the clicks required presently to do this function while preserving the present functionality of the left selection click to select a slice. 

All other muting functions would remain the same.

Thanks,

Pat   WR1Z

1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Also see a related idea for a Master Mute button.  It a different approach but also is intended to reduce the number of clicks when using multiple slices.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/master_mute_button_a_new_feature

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I should also add that by right clicking the slice activation line it would mute all active slices except for the selected slice.  The described method would allow very rapid switching between slices with out the babble of having multiple audio streams open and the noise that comes along with so many audio channels open. 

OK on the master mute button.  I would think that the present master mute button would be all that is need to mute all slices. 

Pat, WR1Z
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Pat,

You might like to take a look at my iPad app - K6TU Control.  You can find full information at:

http://k6tu.net/ipad/k6tucontrol.html

One of the functions I implemented was to be able to mute ALL OTHER SLICES rather than one specific one.  So, if you want to mute all other slices except the one currently active, press and hold on the MUTE button for the active slice and all other slices are muted.

Stu K6TU

• Mike
    Mike Member
    edited September 2014
    I made this suggestion in another conversation. Perhaps take the lead from communications console manufacturers. They have the selected audio (one you can transmit on) come out one speaker (the selected audio speaker) and all other audios come out the other speaker. Levels settable for each speaker. This way you can have selected audio loud, the others lower or muted. Also, there is no question which slice you would transmit on -- the one with audio coming from the Selected Audio speaker. --Mike, WV2ZOW
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    The point is to do this on within SmartSDR.  Although it would be interesting to have L and R system of doing this.  In fact you can do it now and have level control and L Right separation by setting up the Balance control to guide the 2 slices to one or the other, and yes this method is limited to only 2 slices.  My idea is to make it quicker to move between slices without the noise of multiple audio channels being  on.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    IMO there will always be things you can do with the radio that are not integrated into SmartSDR.  FlexRadio has finite resources and its in their best interest to address features with the biggest **** for their buck

I wrote K6TU Control because I know the choices that FRS has to make and decided I wasn't prepared to wait for them to have the bandwidth to make an independent control surface for the 6000 series.

After all, that's the reason why the radio has such a stellar API to it...

Stu K6TU
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The above suggestions still need to be looked at.  Please. 
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

FRSTACK supports this function when you select a slice other slices are muted. Yes, its not incorporated into SSDR as of yet but if you need this function it is available.

http://mkcmsoftware.com/Flex/Index

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Larry, thank you, will download and give it a try. Just hope that the feature is incorporated in next big release.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

FRSTACK  setting for muting other slices.image

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Larry, Installed the Stacks SW and set it up.  Just the one capability to easily control the audio mute on ALL the slices as well as the TX assignment really  is a game changer.  Great piece of SW. 

Pat  
    WH6HI
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    This request is in our feature enhancement database as feature #1939
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Tim!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.