Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Beta vs Dragon

KC0EM
KC0EM Member ✭✭
edited November 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a problem with the Beta version 1.10.8, and I am wondering if anyone would have a solution to it. I use a speech to text program because I am a writer and it is easier to dictate than to type. I am using it to write this note. It is called Dragon and I am using version 15. When I installed SmartSDR beta, Dragon stopped functioning because it could not find any audio input. Dragon allows you to pick your audio source and the normal microphone input to the computer simply was not present in the list of inputs. This is the normal microphone input I use regularly. The only audio sources the Dragon program could find were all related to Flex. I know the microphone was working because I could open the “Recording Devices” and see the microphone and see that it was functioning. The problem seems to be that the Dragon program cannot find the normal microphone input with the new Beta version installed. I wonder if anybody has any ideas?

I did uninstall the Beta and Dragon went back to functioning normally. Wondering if the first install was just somehow bad, I reinstalled the Beta program. I again had the same problem that Dragon could not find the microphone only Flex inputs.

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    How many devices are listed in the Dragon input selector when SmartSDR is installed? I have had a problem in the past with programs that only have room in the list box for 6 or 8 input devices. The large number of devices created by the DAX install "overflows" the listing capabilities of the software. That is, if the Dragon input list can only display 8 devices and the Mic is #9 it won't display. The workaround is to open the "Recording Devices" and disable (right click/select "Disable") some of the high numbered DAX devices to pare down the list. Don't disable anything #1 or #2 as these are the primary inputs of the 1st two slices in your radio. Hope that helps. 73, Bob
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    If Dragon does not have a select list for input devices, it may depend on the windows default recording device selected, which can change when new devices (DAX) are added/removd and again when ever the PC is rebooted.  ( set default recording device in the windows Sound manager.)
     If Dragon does have a select list for input devices, the order of the list can change when ever devices are added ( or removed ) and when the PC is rebooted. Or as Bob said the Dragon select list may to to short.

AL, K0VM
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Bob and Al,
    I finally got back to checking my email and found your replies. It is my early  Monday morning start, so it will be later today before I get the opportunity to try out your suggestions. I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to help me. I will let you know what happens when I try them. Again, thank you.
    VC
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
    This was my first thought too.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I am going to have to submit a ticket. I can find no way to use the speech to text program, Dragon which I use every day in my work. Even uninstalling SmartSDR does not work – plus my main enjoyment in ham radio has stopped working, digital modes. I am now getting a DAX error.

• KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Here is how you to solve this problem with System 10. It is apparently slightly different in earlier versions and if you try the old solutions, they won’t work.

1. Right click on the start button and choose “Device Manager.”

2. Choose “Sound, Video, & Game controller.”

3. Choose “High Definition Audio Device” and then right-click on it.

4. Choose “Properties.” Then select “Update Driver Software” and finally choose “Browse My Computer for Driver Software” then select the driver that is “Signed.” Install it and everything should be back up to date.

Some sources suggested uninstalling the driver first and then finding the driver software on your computer and installing it, but that requires the additional step of restarting your computer. I didn’t bother. I was also told the disappearance of either the recording or playback devices is a common problem when other programs define inputs and outputs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.