Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

best amp for auto band switching

2»

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard less than stacked monobanders at 100' + is WAY too small for serious contesting. I don't recall the **** of this thread was for serious contesting. I suspect most on here are not vying for 'serious' contest station. For those contemplating the difference it is $3,000 or $2,600, vs, what?, $15,000? I'd guess 120' towers with two steppir monsterIRs is around $100,000.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @Walt A great mountain top QTH goes a long way towards mitigating the need for Stacked MonstIR's. My single MonstIR @85' at 600' ASL less than a mile from the Pacific Ocean typically owns the Pacific in JA and Asia Pacific Contests... For USA/EU contests we have NX6T contest station on a mountain top 1100' above average terrain on the other side of our mountains with stacked beams.and ACOM Amps. Personally I prefer solid state amps,over tubes because of the instant on factor. Too many times I have missed Rare DX waiting for tubes to warm up so my home station is Solid State now.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Ken,

Don't forget about the Yaesu Quadra. I have one and love it. It is solid state, interfaces easily to the Flex for band selection and has a 3:1 tuner. Oh, it also puts out an easy 1kw+. I picked up mine used for $2800. There is a good Yahoo forum for owners and a moderator who is very responsive to questions.

Jon...kf2e
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The Elecraft KPA-500 is solid state, even though it works better with a K3s, it works really well with the 6000 series and DDUtil. Also, hopefully not a contentious observation, power is next to the last item on list of factors influencing station performance...with radio being on the bottom. Nothing beats HAAT.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.