Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best way to use microphone and headset over a LAN when 6500 and computer are in different rooms?

Justin Smith
Justin Smith Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I would like to move my 6500 to our garage so that it is closer to the RF ground, GPS antenna, and antenna than it is in my home office where it is now. The computer and the 6500 are  connected over our LAN. I would like advice about how to set up headphones and a microphone at the computer in my office.
Thank you,
Justin

lAN

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

If you prefer a headset, I would consider using Bluetooth with your computer. There is an ever-so-slight latency but does not really degrade the enjoyment. Logitec makes a very workable Bluetooth interface. I would also consider Heil... they are considering a Bluetooth headset. I use their Bluetooth interface on my Heil PR780 and it works as well as connecting directly to the radio.

Jim, K6QE

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited May 2015
    I use A RE27 on my laptop along with a Shure X2u and run it into the usb port on the computer...The Shure x2u does a great job if your wanting to use your current microphone setup.
    http://www.amazon.com/Shure-X2U-XLR-to-USB-Signal-Adapter/dp/B001PPXFAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

• Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Most of the time I  just used the speakers and mic in my laptop and get great audio reports.

I have not found the remote setup to be very picky on what I use. I tried a cheap blue tooth headset and it works find..  I think most any USB headset should also be fine.

73..  Ken - VEKC

• Justin Smith
    Justin Smith Member
    edited May 2015
    Thank you Jim, John, and Ken for giving me such quick and practical solutions to what seemed to be a more complex problem.  I was trying to think of a method for doing the same thing but using Wi-Fi or the LAN itself instead of Bluetooth.  I am going to try Ken's suggestion first and if, for whatever reason, it doesn't work for me, I will then try the methods suggested by Jim and John.

I am still interested in hearing from anyone who has an idea about how I might establish this two-way audio connection using Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi has the advantages over Bluetooth of better security, greater range, and better **** of obstructions, such as office walls.

Justin
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have tested with my hamshack computer using the "Remote" button turned on to simulate running LAN remote.  

I used my Heil PR-22 into a Behringer Q802USB mixer and declared the USB port as the default Audio device.  (This is the same mike & mixer I use to feed audio into the BAL input on the rig.)
    I used the local speakers on my HDMI monitor. (audio fed through the HDMI cable)  Results were very good, after adjusting Gain, TXEQ, and Processor settings for "Remote-Ragchew" and "Remote-DX" profiles.

Another option would be to use a bluetooth Headset, or a wired headset fed in and out of the regular record/playback jacks on the computer.  I have used a $5 computer headset this way and have received good reports.  Though not as good as my main mike.

Just make sure that you match your devices sampling rates and audio levels properly so you will get as clean a signal as possible.  And remember that nothing you use will be optimum until you properly adjust your levels and TXEQ.  That is key to good sounding audio.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    In regards to electret microphones, they are very high quality but are very prone to severe distortion if you close talk into them. I is always good to be able to monitor yourself on a different receiver and learn how to talk properly into this type of microphone to avoid this distortion problem. Once you repeatedly get good audio, then adjust your equalization to get the range that fits your voice into the microphone characteristics.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.