Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best way to Doppler Shift the 6500 with satellites

Jim W3IPO
Jim W3IPO Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am using the DEMI transverter on both 2m and 70cm.  I really need a way to automatically doppler shift on 70cm.

I have followed and read the use of HDR with ssdr on the forum.  I have HDR 6.2 on Win 8 and have had it successfully associated with ssdr.  But it is intermittent and varies from day to day.  I am about to give up on HDR. It seems others have had similar issues.

I have tried Nova, PCsat, and Orbitron but not successful connecting via Smart CAT.
Gpredict looks great except I get hung up on the DDE side of things.

I use fldigi routinely and it is a work horse--but it does not have a doppler correction feature and is not a satellite program.

What are the satellite operators using for doppler correction?

BTW: Thanks FLEX love this radio.  Also thanks to Steve for his engineering skill and ability to communicate.

Answers

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    HI   whit nova it need the corect DDE link 

you may try  http://www.dk1tb.de/indexeng.htm  normally it handle correct kenwood cat command that flex emulate..   73!
    but flex was not a full duplex radio so it may hard  for many sat  whit analog transponder ?

• Luis del MOlino
    Luis del MOlino Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I have used  succesfully SatPC32 for Doppler correction, telling to this program that it has a Kenwood TS-2000 in the COM port specified with CAT. Flex-6500 accepts all the frequency commands for Kenwood TS-2000. SatPC32 talks well with my EA4TX interface for my rotor Kenpro 5600 asuming it accepts commands as a rotor M2. All it works perfectly. I am using it in conjunction with a Flex-1500 that accepts Kenwood commands as well.

73 Luis EA3OG
  • Jim W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thank you Marc and Luis.
    I will be giving SatPC32 a go.

• Jim W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Luis,
    I (finally) got to getting SatPC32----your suggestion was great.
    Doppler worked perfectly.
    When a frequency correction is applied the SSDR display reverts to the IF frequency (10 m in my case).  Not a problem.
    Thanks for the help.
  • Luis del MOlino
    Luis del MOlino Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    James:

The key for Doppler correction is the frequencies and modes placed on the Doppler.sqf file for SatPC32..

I am finding this file following the path: C: -> Users -> Luis -> AppData -> Roaming -> SatPC32 _ Doppler.sqf

In my case, it does NOT revert to 10 meters if frecuency placed there is 144 and 432 on the concerning sat line and using Flex 6500 (SmartSDR) and Flex 1500 .(PowerSDR) as separated  Rx and Tx rigs using the XVTR pages for VHF and IHF, telling it there are kenwoods TS-2000 rigs there.

Luis EA3OG.

• Jim W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Luis,
    I had to make an addition to the Doppler.sqf file for the satellite I am interested in (AO-73) so I will go back and make those frequency changes.
    The SatPC32 manual describes how to do this with a transverter.  I inserted the off set frequency instead of 144.  So I will change that back to 144.
    I am developing more respect for SatPC32, its GUI is pretty sparse, but its operation and the ability to make changes are good.

Jim
    W3IPO
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have a program called FlexSATPC that works in conjunction with SATPC32 for Satellite operations.with both PowerSDR and SmartSDR. It is currently being updated to support the new SmartSDR 1.5 full duplex functionality.. You can contact me at dave at w0dhb.net for info. Dave W0DHB
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dave,

I have been using SatPC32 with an ICOM IC-910H for satellite work for about two years.  I have been very happy with the combination. (The ability to maintain Doppler tracking while manually adjusting the VFO knob is extraordinary and extremely useful.)

Now that we have full duplex in the 6000 series, I have been assuming (naively, I know) that I might be able to just select the Kenwood TS-2000 in SatPC and have it work with my 6700.

What am I overlooking that FlexSatPC provides?

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Bob Some of the issues using TS-2000 to drive SmartSDR/PowerSDR - Uplink and downlink modes are not set correctly - tones will not be set for Satellites requiring them SO-50 - Full duplex mode will not be set In addition it has features streamline satellite operations . It doesn't seem that awful, but if you're used to how it works with your 910 you'll be disappointed. Check out the documentation. I can give you a demo if you'd like https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkqd4fszgwun7ro/Setting up FlexSATPC with PowerSDR-SmartSDR.pdf?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpnmtosihayqdtx/Setting up FlexSATPC Logging and Grid Tracking.pdf?dl=0 73 Dave W0DHB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.