Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best way to do a wide split with FT 8?

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
Using DxLab Commander for wsjt-x to talk to the 6500.

want to tx around 1.840, and rx around 1.908, for JA...

or, vice versa, like when A35 was working JA's that way
 on 160m this am.

73, w5xz, dan

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    Use XIT
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    WSJT-X provides simple tools for operating in split mode.  Unlock the RX and TX frequencies by clearing the check mark in the TX/RX Lock box.  Move the TX frequency to whatever you want by holding the shift key down and clicking on the desired frequency in the spectrum display, or, by typing in the desired frequency in the TX Frequency box.

Similarly, you can move the RX frequency by holding down the ALT key and clicking on the desired frequency, or by typing the frequency in the RX box.

Commander won't help in this because it isn't the radio that is working in split mode, it's the WSJT-X application through the choices it makes for focusing the decoder and encoder.

And please, if you are working a station that is being piled up on, work split.  I worked the Galapagos Islands last night by working him split.  Everyone else was piling on his TX frequency.  He couldn't hear a thing, but I worked him on the second try.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    XIT is handy, or you can use two slices. Just select the appropriate DAX channels.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

In this same line it was stated last weekend at the W9DXCC convention that
    the Bouvet 3Y0Z ops plan to give FT8 a go given the decline of cycle 24 in order
    to get as many in the log as possible.

It was also noted that the only way that was going to work would be by operating
    "SPLIT" in FT8.  So time to get accustomed to operating split or was that SPLEEET?

Good DX!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It is easy to work "nearby split" within the RX passband by doing what Dave, NX6D said...Unlock the RX/TX frequency Lock.  Then you can hold down the Shift key and Click the frequency you wish to transmit when you find a "hole" in the WSJT-X waterfall.  It will set you up with a split RX/TX.  I have busted a lot of DX pileups using that technique.  It is also handy for calling right after the DX sends RRR.  You can get your call in the lineup without making QRM to the station the DX is working on the main frequency.  Tail-end calling right on the DX frequency only slows things down because it blocks the final exchange, resulting in additional repeats to get the "73" message.

If you are trying to do splits outside the current RX passband, then I would recommend using XIT/RIT or learning how to use two slices and two instances of WSJT-x.  I haven't mastered that yet.

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    well, when i do the easy thing, 'use xit' with my flex control, sure, i can move my tx freq anywhere, but I only have a vague idea of my tx freq...just what i see on the pan...can't see tx freq on SmartSDR...

I'd rather not step on anybody when tx'ing, cq'n for dog x-ray....

nearby split, no problem...uncheck in wsjt-x...50, 60 khz split, though??? different story..

i KNOW there are a bunch of JA's i'd like to work...have logged many on cw..
     working on my JCC award....AJD, already in the log..

w5xz

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Here's the deal about splits.  It's true that if two (maybe more) stations transmit to the DX on the DX frequency, the DX may see two or more messages on his screen, and may be able to take the right action.  Some people use this technique to get the DX's attention when the DX is rare.  I've seen this done, and have received such messages myself sometimes.

But at some point, if the number of senders increases, or if conditions are poor, or whatever, the DX doesn't decode anything.  So he'll repeat his last message.  Then everyone else re-sends.  I've seen this loop go on for 10 cycles sometimes.  FT8 isn't fast when a pile-up happens.  It's not like a sideband pileup where the DX may be able to make something out and call someone.

So the thing to do when working a rare DX is to transmit somewhere where you have a clear spot (to avoid local QRM) and be patient.  If the DX op is good at FT8, he'll scroll back in his list of received messages and reply to them in the order received.  He might reply on his TX frequency, or on your TX frequency.  This can make a big difference in the Q rate.

And, if the callers won't split, the DX may change CQ frequencies hoping to catch enough of them off guard so he can make out someone's reply.

I had a case a week ago where I was suddenly working a pileup.  I don't know why they all called me at once, but no one would back down and I couldn't decode any of them.  After a couple of cycles of this, I sent "PLS SPLIT" instead of my CQ and sure enough, they spread out and I worked all of them in a few minutes.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I saw something similar with a semi-rare DX...
    After a few rounds of no-copy-QRM, the DX just sent "SPREAD OUT" and, Boom!  worked a bunch of us.  I looked at my FT8 waterfall, picked a hole, and was the next station worked.  almost as easy as CW in a spit pileup...
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    You should be able to open two pans and use one for watching your TX frequency.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.