Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

best video monitor for smartsdr

Gene - K3GC
Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
There are lots of recommendations for video cards but I find nothing about the monitors they are paired with.  There is a huge selection of sizes, refresh rates, resolutions, and prices.  I have a pair of Acer S211HLs which I bought mainly on price and I suspect I could do a lot better but how much better?  How expensive? What's the best resolution?
I don't want to spend major bucks but, on the other hand, I want the best complement to a vary expensive radio.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Gene K3GC

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Just keep in mind the screen is in HD, So going as large as you can will be easy on the eyes.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Well, if you don't mind spending some $$$ I would go with two of these...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/06/dell-ultrasharp-34/

The curved displays are the best on your eyes if you wear glasses.

Jon...kf2e

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Drats

,! Now I have monitor envy! These make my 3 x27" Samsung's look pathetic
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Lots of good info here, guys - thanks.
    I note  that the more expensive monitors have 120hz or 144hz refresh rates.  Does that offer any real advantage to us running smart sdr
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I set behind a pair of 30" dell monitors at 2550x1600 each. SDR is simply stunning. The monitors are the Dell U3011T. The 3014's are good too. You need a pretty good video card to drive them. I use a nvidia gtx 670, but if you are putting this card into an existing box, check first what power cables you have to power the card. The gtx required 2 of the 6 pin power cables. Some of the cards require 2 of the 8-pin cables, which many boxes simply don't have.

The monitors I pick up use on ebay for about $800 or so. We buy a lot of them in the architecture business.

Brent  W8XG

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Not a recommendation but  a data point...  

The 240 hz monitors seem to be for gaming to make the motion smoother.  If you search for "Eizo Gaming Monitor"  the Eizo site has a white paper on the 240hz monitors.  
    Their model :

EIZO FORIS FG2421-BK 23.5-Inch Screen LCD Monitor 

looks interesting as the refresh rate is very rate and no smearing of the SDR display would occur.  On my current slow monitor (old Dell 25" / 60 hz?) I do not detect smear but a side by side would be interesting.  At about US$650 they are spendy!  Not clear they are worth the extra cash outlay.  It is an LCD but I'd rather go LED for BackLight.  

One important criteria is the monitor not contribute to the RFI in the shack.

Some of the high rate monitors do so for 3D.    Hmmm....  Smart-SDR in 3D.
    Would be interesting to see if 3D effects can enhance the user S-SDR experience.

_..--
    k3Tim

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have two 24" monitors, which when I get around to sorting out the RFI on my main PC will be dual monitor. My monitors are 60Hz and IMHO you would be better spending the extra $ on your station on something tangible than high refresh monitors as there is more chance of my hair growing back (imagine Kojak) than you seeing any benefit.

Managing with 1 monitor at the moment. There are freeware virtual desktop utilities that can help spread things out.

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    I bought one of these a while back... hooked it up with a good HDMI cable and it is pretty slick for no more than what it cost...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-40-class-39-1-2-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/5420054.p?id=121...
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    I totally agree with the article BUT... we hams know there is something they don't address   RFI.... a cheap cable "could" cause RFI headaches... Its just like everything else... it"s trial and error in ham radio....What works for one might not work for another...  I think I gave $20.00  for my hdmi cables so they arent the HIGH dollar ones by far...
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I bought the cheapest ones I could find and they work fine. I could have spent much more and had problems. Use it to connect to the laptop until I can sort out my RFI and go dual monitor on my main PC.

I only put the cheapest tyres on my car as a) they are 1/3 the cost of the major brands, b) those major brands are nowhere near three times better than the cheapest ones by any measure and c) I don't drive like an idiot anymore. The opposite is true - if the expensive tyres were worth it, I'd buy them.

Cheers

Guy
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    My cables are organic oxygen and gluten free GMO based
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I think the sweet spot is 3 monitors. I currently run 2 24s and it is not enough. The advantage of 3 over any 2 is not having the bezel in front of you. I am on a temp location so i am using a laptop to run it all and the pc struggles a bit. Once i move back to my base radio shack i will probably do 3x27 inch monitors with a desktop computer. And if you can get anything better than 1920x 1080 resolution smartsdr will look fantastic.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I prefer IMAX for a surrealistic SDR experience.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Salvador,
    I have the 3 X 27 setup you mentioned.  It works well, all monitors at eye level and about 28 inches away.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Very nice shack Al.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I still drive like an Idiot!!!!

In fact, blew up the engine on a brand new BMW 7 series driving very fast in Germany last year... Fortunately it was a lease so BMW replaced the engine...

BTW... ur 100% correct on HDMI Cables.. unless you find they cause RFI....
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Very nice Al. That is in my opinion the ideal setup as far as monitors is concerned. You can leave in the center whatever you are working on, logging, SDR, Skimmer, etc... and move to the sides all the data input.
    Or you can leave SmartSDR on the side and listen while doing some work on the main screen.

Would you mind measuring from the left monitor all the way to the right one, see how big one of those curved ones needs to be to get the same real estate?

Thanks for sharing.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Similar Configuration
    3 x 27"    160 CM from End to End - chord across arc of the front of the monitors

Left Monitor  -  DDUTIL (SteppIR, Amp Autodrive, Rotor, Digital Wattmeters), SPE-2KFA Control

Center Monitor  - HRD Logbook, Rotor, DM780, WSJT-X, or Writelog for Contesting

Right Monitor - SSDR

Seriously considering upgrading to even larger monitors as even 4 let alone 8 panadapters is very cramped on a 27" monitor

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You can Extend the monitor. I use Display Fusion Pro. Works great!

• Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For my money, a pair of Dell 24 inch 1080p monitors costing $135 each are stunning.  I'd put the extra money into antennas or an amplifier.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Salvador,
    I measured 65 inches or 165 CM across the front of the monitors.   Howard measured slightly less at 160 CM.  It depends on how you angle them.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks! That is great info, to know if it will fit and to compare to the size monitor in those 16:9 curved new monitors.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    IMHO dragging panadapters and/or tool panels to another monitor is the better long term solution. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/enhancement_to_let_you_drag_a_panadapter_to_another_monitor Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Yes and can't beat the sounds at 40kw!

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    It would be even better without the bezels on the monitors.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I currently use 2 Samsung 23 inch LED 1080p HDMI TV's.  I am preparing to get a third, but need a new monitor card.  The one I have won't drive three monitors at the same time.

One caution:  Whichever TV or monitor you get, be sure that the power supply doesn't generate RF hash.  Many of them are very noisy!

I first got another name brand TV from HHGregg and it filled the panadapter spectrum with all manner of spikes and pretty designs.  I promptly returned it and got a Samsung and it is pretty quiet.  I still put a mix31 ferrite on the power supply leads just to make sure.

When you are FLEXing, once you move to multiple monitors you will never go back to a simple laptop or single monitor, unless you are running remote!  My second monitor has been one of the most useful additions to my shack since the Flex arrived.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    How would a big touch screen monitor be? Would touch and S-SDR play nice?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ken,

For $50 you can get a USB 3.0 video card like this to add the 3rd monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-2048x1152-1920x1080-DisplayLink/dp/B00A2E1MQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=...

I will use that video card for the monitor for thing with less intensive video usage such as website, logging, cluster, etc...

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    there are HDMI and VGA versions as well as USB2.0 version. I recommend either DVI or HDMI to avoid RFI into the monitor. VGA cables are "magnets" for RF.
    The USB 2.0 will probably only go to 1920x1080, resolution, which would be your average 1080 HD monitor.

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-2048x1152-1920x1080-DisplayLink/dp/B00A2E1MQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=...

will do 2560x1440  and send audio for $55.
    I haven't used one myself, but it definitely is a cheaper alternative to buying a better video card. Maybe if someone has used one they can provide some feedback on its performance.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.